PDA

View Full Version : PH controller or Not

SDFISHMAN
02-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I hear some people don't use PH controllers.. How many people run theres without PH controllers?? I was wondering if there just a waste of money..

shmitr
02-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Well...I had every intention of getting one but never got around to it. However, I was running a system volume of about 100G so minor changes didn't have that big of an effect. On a small system, I'd say definitely as minor changes can have a big effect on the system parameters.

phishphood
02-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Justin...it's just one more piece of equip on your 15. I'm sure you ahve room for it, heh. Honestly, I've hardly even checked the pH of my 90g, and for my 10g, yo ucan forget about me checking that... but it would probably be a good thing to have, assuming it's callibrated correctly.

lucubrator
02-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I've been reading, and according to the big chemists, it takes quite a long time for calcium reactors to come to equillibrium pH, and to actually start dissolving Ca2++ and CO3-. If you use a controller close to your desired output pH, then you'll constantly be flipping the gas on and off. If you're using a pH controller on the tank, then the gas will turn off just after the reactor comes back into equillibrium. Furthermore, if your tank pH is plunging significantly at night, it's not because your Ca reactor is running, it's because you have more severe issues with gas exchange.
I have a solenoid on my regulator, but I haven't put it into use yet. If and when I do, it will be there for use only in emergency situations (eg when tank pH goes really low). For now, it works to keep the reactor from filling with gas if the power goes out.

Dakota
02-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I'd say use a pH monitor so you can adjsut your reactor manually to be sure it stays in equilibrium, but also know where it's at, at all times. Using the controller, as Lucubrator says, keeps the reaction chamber from it's equilibrium status.

navyblue09
02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
i dont use one. one they are a bit pricey for the simple function they do. and also if you set it up correctly and play with your system a bit trying different bubble counts(start off low and work it up higher to give you the values you want) also maybe try adjusting the flow through rate and have it to where your calc and alk is steady and also have your regulator silinoid on a timer in sequence with your lights and your PH sould stay steady. i am holding a PH of 8.2 and a alk of 11.6 and calc of 460. also on any of your adjustments let it run for about 30-45min then measure your readings and go from there. if you need help getting it setup and runnng let me know also here is a great link on setup of the reactor that doesnt have a controller.

http://www.rochesterreefs.com/Calcium%20Reactor%20Setup.htm

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/equipment/calcreactor.html