PDA

View Full Version : A litttle help here....what do Red Bugs look like?

Reefkeeper
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I am hoping that some of the unfortunate people who have had a case of the red bugs can tell me what they look like. First off, I am assuming that they are in fact red in color rather than some other color. Are we talking fire engine red, ketchup, or something else?

The reason for the question is actually rather simple. I am out of town and my tank has been under the care of first a friend and fellow SDreefer and then my wife. Unfortunately, this trip is rather protracted and several issues have developed during the course of my absence. Recently, my wife told me that there was some weird stuff on the glass, which was identified as snail eggs. They disappeared in short order but today she casually mentions seeing little dots moving around the glass. Since I am looking for a description, I would rather leave out the description I received but I highly doubt that it could be the dreaded red bugs, but since I am so far away, I would prefer to have some comfort in a conflicting description.

Thanks. BTW, the only "new" things in my system were acquired from another member who was tearing down his whole well established system.

SDFISHMAN
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Do you have any arco's in the tank?

MrKrispy
02-25-2006, 09:48 AM
you probably won't see red bugs on the glass. It is probably just pods.

SDFISHMAN
02-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds like pods or baby snails..

Limbo
02-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Red bugs are more of an ridescent orange color. Realy easy to see with all the tank lights on and holding the coral close. They look like little metallic orange flecks moving around the acro tissue.

Here is a REALLY tight shot of them:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=531876

Jim

Reefkeeper
03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the responses, I am back now. They were "reddish-brown" spots. I still havent seen them but I am guessing they are just baby snails, but I have some major work to do on my tanks.

Thanks again.