PDA

View Full Version : Help need quick answer to sump/refugium ?

xtrmist
02-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Okay i'm transforming my sump (used to have bio balls in it) into a refugium. If i can explain this right , there is a chamber that the water collects in before it flows over to the area where the bio balls used to be. This is where my skimmer sits. My question is this, can i knock that wall out to make bigger refugium aera then use a hang on skimmer instead; right over the refugium area. To restate my real question can i skim my refugium area. I know it sounds silly but some time this stuff is real finicky. thanks for the answer to a possibly dumb question.

swissfish
02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
you'll get the best skimming results when you skimm the overlow water directly. If you but the return into the refugium and suck the skimer water out of it, you will reskimm some off the water that just came out of the skimmer.
But it will work, lots of people do it that way. Just make sure you don't have too much flow in the refugium.

phishphood
02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Also watch it if you skim the fuge...don't want chaeto or any other macro to get caught up in your pump...

xtrmist
02-24-2006, 05:23 PM
okay well here is my sump with bubble traps cut and placed in not glued. as you can see on the left is the the chamber and the area that my skimmer originally was and could go back. Though if i take out that wall i will add alot more volume to my refugium and of coarse i could use the hang on prism skimmer. How about this could i skim from the top of my tank? which would be better, right?

on another note? what is the best skool of thought in regard ot flow i here alot and then i here not alot?

xtrmist
02-25-2006, 12:05 AM
oh well i decided to leave the chamber. i used some plastic epoxy couldn't find acrylic specifc. the seals arn't perfect but my microbubbles are significanty reduced. Now i just the algea fo rthe refugium i will post else where, for that.