PDA

View Full Version : coraline

JeromeBaker
06-15-2004, 11:56 AM
What are the key ingredients to get coraline?

SD619
06-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Scripps water and BI-Ionic

nalbar
06-15-2004, 12:03 PM
some existing coraline in your tank (even a small amount), scripps water, low light.

no matter what any of these other anal retentive nerds tell you, that is all you need.

nalbar

wwxc
06-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah, if you already have some in your tank scrape a little of it off to get the cells into the water column and you should see it start to spread.

Bickmade
06-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by JeromeBaker
What are the key ingredients to get coraline?

A mature tank usually gets coraline. I though you get it from good quality water and a little bit of lighting.

Flamehawk
06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
There are light loving ones and low light ones. You can always get some rubble with coraline on it and put in your tank.

JeromeBaker
06-15-2004, 01:01 PM
I have had my tank up and running in some form(upgraded from a 26 to a 46 two months ago) for 7 months. I have no coraline. I just switched to scripps water and I use b ionic so hopefully I'll start to see some growth. I have heard different things regarding whether or not it is actually good for the tank. What's up with that?

ricestudios
06-15-2004, 01:14 PM
i like it on rock but not on the window

Bickmade
06-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I have had my tank up and running in some form(upgraded from a 26 to a 46 two months ago) for 7 months. I have no coraline. I just switched to scripps water and I use b ionic so hopefully I'll start to see some growth. I have heard different things regarding whether or not it is actually good for the tank. What's up with that?

The LR we got had coraline on it so there is a chance it came from that and spread out. Yea I heard of some cases where there was not coraline in the tank. But if everything is growing good and doing fine then let it be i guess.

brahm
06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
you need really good water coniditons, you parameters need to be stable for a long time,

JeromeBaker
06-15-2004, 01:26 PM
My water quality tests out to be awesome thats why I'm puzzled. Freakin fish tank, give me some coraline damn it!!!

Bickmade
06-15-2004, 01:33 PM
My water quality tests out to be awesome thats why I'm puzzled. Freakin fish tank, give me some coraline damn it!!!

lol Get some expoxy and paint it pink j/k

JeromeBaker
06-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Bickmade
lol Get some expoxy and paint it pink j/k

I guess I'm gonna have too.

MrKrispy
06-15-2004, 01:51 PM
coralline is good because nuisance algae can't compete for the same spot. Once it starts abiotically growing on glass and powerheads it can get to be a pain. Plus it comes in many colors, that is cool.

brahm
06-15-2004, 02:08 PM
what helps also is if you have some and you scrape it!, I had a little patch on the front of my glass, I scraped it now I got little bits growing all around it. :( I think corline is overrated I've read that it's possibley reduces the effect of LiveRock fillitron buy covering up all the holes ect.

nalbar
06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
it does not 'possibly' reduce the efficiency of live rock. it 'positively' does. but it is doubtful that any of our tanks will reach the point where it makes a difference.

hehe, certainly not jerome's! :D

nalbar

brahm
06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
it does not 'possibly' reduce the efficiency of live rock. it 'positively' does. but it is doubtful that any of our tanks will reach the point where it makes a difference.

nalbar

well, I didn't want to say it does for sure as I have only read threads here and there and have no proof either way.

JeromeBaker
06-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Step up nalbar! :cool:

SD619
06-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by wwxc
Yeah, if you already have some in your tank scrape a little of it off to get the cells into the water column and you should see it start to spread.

This is what I first tried to do when I first set up my 46 bow about 3 years ago. I didn't think it helped much. I guess I might have needed more scrapings. It did take me a while to get it going, but it was all over everything (i.e, snail shells, powerheads, glass, lr, etc.) by the time I broke the tank down. Don't worry, it'll come. Like everything in this hobby, just be patient.

Ron

sdboogie
06-16-2004, 10:29 AM
If you really get hard up, ipsf has coralline booster pegs for sale.

I thought I read somewhere that Phosphate deters coralline from growing. It seems true in my tank where I put some crappy algae infested rock in and have had a hard time getting any corraline to grow. But everything turns neon green from algae.

If you've ever been to AW to see their tanks, it's a pretty tough standard to live up to. All of their rock looks like it has been dipped into coralline many times. My tank's not worthy!