PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tools?

shmitr
02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
I've seen quite a few folks post that they've got such and such at Harbor Freight. I was looking at thier site and they have some cheap prices on tools. Has anyone tried them out?

Having just bought a "fixer uper" house, I'm in the market for some serious tools but don't want them to die a couple weeks after getting them...

pk-sd
02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/

I bought air nail gun for my hardwood floor project. Expected to last just thru project ($25). Its been 2 years. I have loaned it to more than 10 different people, still going strong. But if you are a pro, then it might be worth getting more expensive tools (maybe ??)

mj1333
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Harbor freight tools are cheap for a reason. They don't last. They are ok for some hand tools, but not power tools. I've bought tools from there in the past because they were "cheap". I always regretted it afterwards. If you want something to use only a few times or very little, go for it. If you're going to be using them alot, dig a little deeper and buy some quality power tools. Rigid (I think that's how it's spelled) makes some pretty decent tools at a lesser price than dewalt, makita, etc.

shmitr
02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I guess the side of me that says "You get what you pay for..." and the side of me that says "What if you hate the whole remodeling thing..." are still duking it out.

Dakota
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Try borrowing some tools to see if you like it. If you do, go for it.. if not.. no losses :-D

I, for one, LOVE having tools.

lucubrator
02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
We know you do, eric. This guy buys tools just to have them, and doesn't know how to use most of them. ;).
I bought a hole saw kit from HF for like $4, and was happy with the two holes I've cut so far.

Just kidding:Eric does actually know how to use his tools. :)

pitfish
02-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Harbor Freight sells good, but not great tools. I know a couple mechanics that have craftsman/snap-on tools at work and own Harbor freight stuff at home. There's a tool store just across the street from the Jack in the Box on Rosecranz (sp?). The one you see just as you are coming off I8. I can't remember what it's called at the moment. It has some pretty decent prices on excellent tools.

mj1333
02-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Harbor Freight sells good, but not great tools. I know a couple mechanics that have craftsman/snap-on tools at work and own Harbor freight stuff at home. There's a tool store just across the street from the Jack in the Box on Rosecranz (sp?). The one you see just as you are coming off I8. I can't remember what it's called at the moment. It has some pretty decent prices on excellent tools.

Tool Depot

Little Luey
02-22-2006, 06:34 AM
For seldom used stuff HT is ok but not if you make a living using power tools, most of their tools are made in China or somewhere out there, the quality is just not there.

pitfish
02-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Tool Depot

yep, thats it

swissfish
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I buy most if my remodeling tools there, I usualy use them a couple times a year and at that duty cycle they will last me a for years.
I rather buy high end Appliances wich I'll be using every day than spend all the money on tools that rot in the garage.

luistwentyone
02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
if you are using the tools for a home project, Harbor Freight is the answer.

if you are using the tools for your business (work), spend the extra money and buy elsewhere.

plain and simple.

shmitr
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I'll be using these exclusively for home projects (I work for a software co) so sounds like HF may be good enough for want I'll be doing. Thanks for the info everyone.