PDA

View Full Version : Which test kit(s) do I need?

sushi
08-02-2015, 06:10 PM
I see there is an API saltwater test kit and reef test kit, but I think they have some of the same tests. Do I need both or are there just a few tests I really need to worry about?

Kris
08-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Reef or fish only or?

jason142
08-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Ok, so not sure what you already have so I will give you the essentials. You need a refractometer to test your salinity and the only 3 test kits I use regularly are salifert magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity.

jason142
08-02-2015, 08:18 PM
IMO I would stay away from the api test kits for those 3. I guess you are also going to need ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate since you are setting up new and are going to go through a cycle, you could use API for those.

seanmcknew
08-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Personally I use the basic three ammonia, nitrate, nitrite with API. Don't test these anymore unless I suspect something might be off. I use the salifert for cal, mag, alk. But i ordered the red sea test kit of these three as well to check ease of use and accuracy.

sushi
08-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I have a hydrometer for testing gravity that should be fine, currently I have nothing I am planning to have a sand bed, live rock, some fish, some corals. I have nothing as far as test kits go either, so I thought I would need at least the API Saltwater Master that has ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. Maybe I can just start with that one since I won't really have anything in my tank for awhile. Then I can buy magnesium calcium and alkalinity.

sushi
08-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Personally I use the basic three ammonia, nitrate, nitrite with API. Don't test these anymore unless I suspect something might be off. I use the salifert for cal, mag, alk. But i ordered the red sea test kit of these three as well to check ease of use and accuracy.

Sounds the same as jason142, so that's what I'll do. Thanks guys!

jason142
08-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Hydrometers are not very accurate and it is not uncommon to have varying results on the same water. If you were only keeping fish then I would say it will be fine but if you plan on keeping corals accuracy and stability are key to successful reef keeping.

guineaguy
08-02-2015, 09:02 PM
I use salifert MAG. CAL. ALK

sushi
08-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Hydrometers are not very accurate and it is not uncommon to have varying results on the same water. If you were only keeping fish then I would say it will be fine but if you plan on keeping corals accuracy and stability are key to successful reef keeping.

Oh I didn't know that, I guess I'll grab a refractometer soon too, I'll keep an eye out for one here