PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my acrylic tank to fit a HOB

ilikualot
02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I just purchased a protein skimmer. I was going to hang it on my sump but I brought it home and it will not fit to where I can pull the cup out. CAn I cut a 3inX7in box into the top of my tank. I have acrylic so the top has four inches from the edge. I dont want to destroy my tank for my protein skimmer.

JArod

dbrooks
02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
return the protein skimmer and buy one that fits in the sump. DO NOT cut your tank.

ilikualot
02-21-2006, 12:09 PM
ne one else?

I just got the aqua remora c pro and would like to use it.

dbrooks
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Then why ask? If you are going to cut your tank up...just go ahead and do it.

phishphood
02-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Have you tried just putting the whole thing into your sump? Not as a hang on, but actually running it in the sump

ilikualot
02-21-2006, 01:25 PM
dbrooks: I am sorry if you are offended. I have learned alot from this board and I wanted to get multiple opinions. I have learned that many different people on this board have many different opinions and I wanted to get someone with experience in this situation.

Phishphood: The stand is not big enough. I can't even stand it up straight. I thought I was getting the remora and when I showed up it ended up being the remora pro.

dbrooks
02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm not offended...I guess that I expect all to bow before me and do as I tell them...something I'm working on.

No worries.

phishphood
02-21-2006, 02:22 PM
is the back of your stand enclosed? Is it possible to move the sump to the back of the stand and leave some space between your stand and the wall?

johnc
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
thats kinda a big hole. i cut the top of a truvu tank once but that was just an inch on both sides of the holes that were already cut out. i did use a dremel to round out the corners a little to help prevent any cracks at the edges. it was a used tank that i got cheap if you have a nice tank i would just get a different skimmer; because it would suck to have to get a new simmer and tank if anything goes wrong.

fier138
02-27-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm not offended...I guess that I expect all to bow before me and do as I tell them...something I'm working on.

No worries.

LMAO I cant stop laughing