PDA

View Full Version : best/most effect way to remove an eel?

mrfobber
02-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a snowflake eel in my 40 gallon reef that i want to remove. anybody got any idea how that can be done with all the LRs and corals in there? >_<

BigAir
02-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Just reach in and grab it.:D
No seriously, You could try making a trap out of a soda bottle, and get it that way.

SDFISHMAN
02-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I used a pvc pipe worked for me..

Mike N
02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd take an empty plastic soda bottle (maybe a 16-oz or 1 liter) and poke some holes in the bottle to allow the air to escape when you place it into the aquarium. Make sure the opening is large enough to allow the eel into the bottle and place some squid or shrimp in the bottle. Tie a string around the neck of the bottle and lower it into the aquarium, when the eel goes after the food lift the bottle out.

Same basic idea of a home made fish trap, only eels are easier to entice into small confined spaces.

You may need to add some weight to the bottle and make sure it's clean. Also, it may be necessary to attach the lure to the bottom of the bottle so the eel doesn’t grab and run, if you make him work for it you'll have a better chance to get him all the way into the bottle.

MrKrispy
02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
watch those fingers!

mrfobber
02-18-2006, 11:50 AM
"Bobby" the eel somehow is shy today. Its not a very big snowflake so I just used a RC soda can. I placed dried freeze plankton and dried freeze jumbo krill as baits. He came out a little then went back to his hiding place.. I hope I can catch him...

Dakota
02-18-2006, 04:42 PM
watch the edges of a soda can opening. Tehy can cut him up. Use a smaller, 20oz soda bottle. Or go to Plan B, and dismantl the reef :eek:

mrfobber
02-18-2006, 07:07 PM
yah I hope I dont have to go to plan B x[ but right now Bobby is not going for the bait. Ill change the bait tonight and let the soda can sit overnight and see what happens.