PDA

View Full Version : New to forum looking for fish advice

greg619
06-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm looking to add a new fish to my 80G reef. Ideally I'd like something that likes to munch on hair algae a bit as I've got a little bit of that (though I'm fighting it in other ways*as well). None of my fish are very large (nothing bigger that 2-2.5") and I'm looking for a species that will be reef safe, not shy, but mellow enough to get along with the other inhabitants.

Fish
2 Firefish
2 Oscellaris Clown
1 Damsel
1 Lawnmower Blenny

Invert
1 Bubble tip nem
2 Peppermint shrimp
1 Sexy shrimp

Coral
Candy cane
Cauliflower
Duncan
Frogspawn
Green star polyp
Hammerhead
Horn
Monti
Mushrooms
Polythoas
Ricordia
Toadstool
Zoas

Thanks.

cHRoNzZe
06-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Tangs are great fish to have around...yellows are more mellow and will also eat most algaes......if your having a bad hair algae problem a seahare with a few snails will do the job in about a week.........good luck

P.s tunabullet has some nice looking yellow tangs a few days ago for a great price

greg619
06-28-2015, 10:32 AM
I've read that tangs sometimes go after different corals. Nothing of the sort in your experience?

Did you mean sea hare?

jason142
06-28-2015, 10:47 AM
I've kept almost every type of tang and never had an issue. My pbt nips at my euphyllia every once in awhile but nothing to worry about. Another good tang for grazing algea is a bristle tooth and they don't grow as fast.

cHRoNzZe
06-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Ya.......auto type lol........Yellows don't ..I'm sure some tangs aren't reef safe just google reef safe tangs pick out a few you like and do some more research on it....what it eats,reef safe?,how many you can keep in a tank,etc.....Always try cross reference everything you get to insure it has a better survivor rate when it goes in your system ...... I had a few tangs before and never had any issue 3 different type at once

CMD2213
06-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Tangs or any fish are never a promised reef safe fish I have with caution fish in my tank and they do great it's a hit or miss
I have
2 snowflake clowns
1 ruby red 1 prob dead
1 tailspot blenny
1 coral beauty
1 royal.gramma
1 bangai cardinal
1 spotted mandarin the coral beauty is the only iffy fish but does great no coral nipping in my 80g

greg619
06-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys. I've got a credit at AW and they happen to have some small yellow tangs in. I might give it a go.

FDdragon
06-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, i say a yellow tang will be nice. I have two and theyve gone through 3 different tank setups....and they never went after my corals. Ive had zoas witb a little algae on the plug and they cleaned it up. Zoas were fine. :)