PDA

View Full Version : Fighting to the Death..Martial Arts

Reefer Addict
02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
So who trains on this forum and in what style?

When I lived up in Norcal I trained in Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu...

Here is the link to the school where I trained.
http://www.buksing.com/

brncsfns5621
02-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I just started Chuy Li Fut Kung Fu at White Dragon in La Mesa.

maus42
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I trained at White Dragon off Balboa for awhile, before I moved to LA. Before that I trained in Poway in a short lived school that tought a combination of Ryu Karate, Aikido and Jujitsu. Before that I got a black belt in tae kwon do.

In a couple months I'm going to start training with a co-worker who teaches Shan Sou kung fu. It's been a couple years since I've trained so I'm damn excited. I just hope my work schedule will allow for it.

Reefer Addict
02-15-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking about taking up Kendo. Anyone know if the school down in south county (not sure of the city) is any good?

I forgot to add that I also trained in Wing Chun.

supaboy1981
02-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Tae Kwon Do 2 years

Wrestling 3 years

Short stint in JKD

Can Immitate Capoeira LIke a mofo!

I really want to start training in either boxing or Muay Thai in the next month or so. Any one know a good affordable gym?

Reefer Addict
02-15-2006, 11:54 PM
This is in UTC. It looks as if the instructors are versed in both boxing and Muay Thai...

http://www.theboxingclub.net/Locations/La-Jolla-UTC/main/

GoTakuF1
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
I just started Chuy Li Fut Kung Fu at White Dragon in La Mesa.

I know some of the instructors at White Dragon, I see you guys running around the neighborhood all the time, causing trouble!

supaboy1981
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
This is in UTC. It looks as if the instructors are versed in both boxing and Muay Thai...

http://www.theboxingclub.net/Locations/La-Jolla-UTC/main/

$85 a month $150 enrollment or $10 per class buy your own gloves and wraps.

is that the norm?

lucubrator
02-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Where do I go to learn drunken boxing, other than the corner pub?

supaboy1981
02-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Where do I go to learn drunken boxing, other than the corner pub?

I can teach you but you have to proviede the booze and I may fall asleep in the middle of our training sesion

Reefer Addict
02-16-2006, 01:36 AM
$85 a month $150 enrollment or $10 per class buy your own gloves and wraps.

is that the norm?
Where did you find the pricing on their site?

supaboy1981
02-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Where did you find the pricing on their site?

I didnt, I went in and asked. I went to the one in PB next to hooters.

Phischy
02-16-2006, 07:55 AM
I've trained for a year and seven months at Jiai Aikido. It's affordable and a lot of fun. But Aikido isn't flashy, damn hard though. Jeff Sodeman Sensei teaches very well, and at the higher levels he will break from traditional japenese fighting techiques and show how to deal with a roundhouse punch/kick or uppercuts etc...

We do have the best mats in San Diego.
www.jiaiaikido.com

In fact, my reef tank is in the lobby!

jharr
02-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate

Don't see many IKKA schools around any more, but the founder of United Studios of Self Defense was a student of Parker's, as was my instructor up in Washington. I haven't trained in a few years so I am at that point where my mind knows exactly what to do, but my damned body just won't do it!:mad:

nanoreefbro
02-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey Reefer, there is a Kendo club that practices down in National City at the VFW on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. I can get the info for you. I was going to take a class with my son. My co worker used to be an instructor there.

luistwentyone
02-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I train at the Paco Rodriguez Torres de la Rosa Guajardo Manchado Cara Seca gym, in the art of Tijuana cheap shot hit-an-run

Reefer Addict
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey Reefer, there is a Kendo club that practices down in National City at the VFW on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. I can get the info for you. I was going to take a class with my son. My co worker used to be an instructor there.
Cool let me know what you find out. SideBar-How's the 42g hex working out? Hope you are enjoying it!

RA

Reefer Addict
02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I train at the Paco Rodriguez Torres de la Rosa Guajardo Manchado Cara Seca gym, in the art of Tijuana cheap shot hit-an-run
Do they teach the Mexican version of 'Drunken Style Kung Fu'? :D

nanoreefbro
02-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I haven't hooked it up yet. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with it. My son wants a tank but I think that will be too much in his room..

Reefer Addict
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
I haven't hooked it up yet. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with it. My son wants a tank but I think that will be too much in his room..
Make sure to post some pics when you start to set it up..

nanoreefbro
02-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Sure thing will do!!!

[G]h0s']['
02-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Ya know, I've been thinking of taking up some kickboxing. Taken Wushu a while back when I had a lot of time on my hands, sure miss the physical fitness. Anyone taken a good muy tai class aside the one in la jolla?

GoTakuF1
02-17-2006, 02:17 AM
I heard Chuck Norris's school is quite good. You know, he recently had a heart attack. Well, untill he kicked himself in the chest and since then, he has never felt better.

BTW, anyone here go to Fabio Santos' school?

wrx777
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm looking to get into MMA or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I have a few friends that train and compete all over at the am competitions, but I just want to do it for defensive purposes. And it's a good workout :)

nanoreefbro
02-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Reefer, I got more info about the Kendo Club. It's called San Diego Kendo Bu. They practice every Tues from 7-8 for Beginners and 8-9 for the Advanced class. It's at the VFW building between G and F street in National City. The Kendo instructor's name is John Yamamoto. I don't have his number but he owns a dentist practice so you could get his info from the phone book. You could also just show up and watch the beginners class at 7pm as well. That's what I plan on doing..

Phischy
02-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I thought I'd throw this out. My sensei is also interested in renting out time to anyone who's wanting to start a martial arts dojo, but doesn't want the over head involved in upkeep of the facility. Or for those who are just starting their own class.

He's also willing to rent time to yogi, tumbling, meditation etc... instructors. If you know anyone who's wanted to start teaching a class, this is a good opprotunity.

Roy Dean teaches a BJJ class at the dojo from 2 to 4pm every Saturday. He is a shodan in aikido and a brown belt in BJJ. More info on his class via our website: www.jiaiaikido.com

supaboy1981
02-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Any body know of a open Gym?? where you can use a tumbling floor and Gymnastic equip?? I really wanna go open up a bit!