PDA

View Full Version : Pipefish info?

ninhsavestheday
02-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Does anybody have any experiences with pipefish? Like how big of a tank? How high the current? Feeding? I saw some at BR. Just interested. Thanks!

aquacultureCS
02-15-2006, 07:39 AM
I have three banded pipefish in my 75 gal seahorse tank at home plus I've taken care of a couple other species at work, Janss and alligator pipes. Mine all eat mysis and cyclopeeze but it will take a little time to ween them possibly from live foods. You can also give them enriched brine shrimp and they will pick pods of your LR. You'd probably need at least a 30 gal for one or two. They don't need a lot of flow but as long as you have a couple of calmer areas in your tank they should be ok if you do have a decent amount. If you get two males they can sometimes fight to the death or other times they will just nip at each other. I have a couple of breeding banded pipe pairs but haven't had any success raising the fry yet. Other reef fish may pick on them so your best bet would be to get a couple or put them in with a seahorse or two. What kind did they have at BR?

ninhsavestheday
02-15-2006, 07:42 AM
i saw some brown ones (dusky?), and i think i saw a dragon. I heard there are some that you can put in a 10g?

treylane
02-15-2006, 09:10 AM
I've had 3 (small) banded pipefish in a 10gal for about 48 hours... starting to eat cyclopeeze already...

Pipefish police come and get me!!! :-P

Err, better yet, I've got a blue tang in there too!

Tang police come and get me!!! :-P

hahahahahahaha

ninhsavestheday
02-15-2006, 11:08 AM
where did you get the banded pipefish?

i saw them for 3.99 at

http://floridapets.com/

brncsfns5621
02-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Just curious, but I have heard that pipefish can be dangerous with seahorses as they often carry diseases that will kill your horses.
I'm starting a 15g seahorse tank and looking for info as well.

ninhsavestheday
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Just curious, but I have heard that pipefish can be dangerous with seahorses as they often carry diseases that will kill your horses.
I'm starting a 15g seahorse tank and looking for info as well.

What kind of seahorses?

treylane
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
WILD CAUGHT pipefish (or any fish) can be a threat to CAPTIVE BRED seahorses w/diseases and stuff. If you're putting WC pipefish in with WC seahorses, you just run the same risk of introducing disease as usual.

brncsfns5621
02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
What kind of seahorses?

Don't know, still researching

Jess, no need to yell at me! Was just asking a question. :D Thanks for info.

FishRFrndsNtFud
02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I've had 3 (small) banded pipefish in a 10gal for about 48 hours... starting to eat cyclopeeze already...

Pipefish police come and get me!!! :-P

Err, better yet, I've got a blue tang in there too!

Tang police come and get me!!! :-P

hahahahahahaha

and don't forget to mention the shark you put in there...didn't you catch that off of La Jolla???..... ;)

phishphood
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Haha funny thing is she actually does have the tang in there...