PDA

View Full Version : Psychedilic Mandarin / Sand sifting Goby

David604
02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I just ripped all of my crushed coral out of my tank and have added a nice deep sand bed that is from a well established reef tank and chocked full o life. I have also turned my wet dry area into a fuge with maco LR and life. I also have a lot of LR in the front.

I one day want to add a psychedlic mandarin and I will wait until the tank is sustaining adeqaute life to keep up with his diet(I have added pod culture prior to the live sand).

Question....I really like and want to add a sand sifting goby now to helop maintain the bed and just cause they are super cool.

Given that I want to add a psy goby down the road, would that be a bad idea?

If ya think it's okay what is the most colorful/coolest looking of the sand sifting gobys?
Cheers
David

dhuynh
02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
It would be okay. The sand shifter goby would probably help the Mandarin. It'll make it easier for the mandarin to hunt out pods.

Dakota
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
There are way too many cool looking gobies out there.. just run a search on them.. there are tons of them. I love gobies, too. As for the madarin, just be sure to keep an eye on him to ensure he stays plump and fat. It's imperative that he stays well fed (for his sake).

Little Luey
02-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Won't the goby compete with the mandarine for pods?
I thought the reason the gobies shift thru the sand is to get pods as well as other critters from the sand bed, is this correct?

phishphood
02-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I think just about all sand sifting gobies can easily be trained to eat frozen/pellets. Keep it well fed and it won't be eating much pods. Also, I htink they sift to make burrows to live in.

Dakota
02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
most fish eat pods.. my gobies (when I had 3 at a time) devoured my pod population.