PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater!

ChenLung
05-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Hi all!

I've been keeping freshwater tanks for about a year now and four tanks later I'd like to get my first saltwater tank started! I have an empty 60g tank and a stand and that's about it. From the research that I've done I'm considering doing a FOWLR tank and can use any advise offered to me. Current plan is to have about 60-80 lbs of sand and about 100 lbs of rock. Due to space and budget limitations I thought I'd get a HOB skimmer (reef octopus bh1000) a powerhead or two and throw on an Aquaclear 70 I have sitting around from a recent freshwater breakdown. As far as livestock (and the equipment list), I'm totally open to suggestions and would very much appreciate them! I've also been advised to get water from Scripps so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on that? Where is the pump located in relation to parking? i.e. should i bring small containers or could i bring a 55 gallon drum and manage to fill it up in my truck? Thanks in advance for any advise!

Also, if anyone knows any tips on getting necessary equipment on a good deal or if anyone is selling any used equipment I would need that would be awesome! Thanks again :D

Tigerpinoy
05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Scripps water is located by the pier. U can basically drive straight to the pump and pump it straight on ur truck. It's pretty fast pump too if u wanna get 55 gals

skratchiechan
05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Welcome! There are full systems for sale pretty often in the equipment section.

jetli1969
05-02-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm glad u got out of freshwater.
Welcome aboard!

momrocks999
05-03-2015, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the greatest addiction there is! IMO you would probably do well to have 2 power heads, one on each end for flow. I started with a hob pump also but found I needed one that was rated for 2x the size of the tank because it's saltwater. Best prices for equipment is right here on the equipment section.

FDdragon
05-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Welcome. I think you are off to a good start. Just make sure your skimmer is rated for bigger than your tank...at least twice. Rocks and sand sound good...you can find great deals on rocks here, even sand but you would have to clean it good.

Scripps very easy. There is a map on here so take a look so you know where to go (its on Naga Way and down the hill. Remember, down the hill. Then there is a pier and lot of large filter stations next to it. Bam, you are there). There is a washing station for the surfers and a spicket next to it that has a hose connected to it. Just turn on the spicket with the hose and fill up.

As far as livestock, that depends on what you are looking for. I love clownfish and they are hardy, plus if you put a anemone they can host which is cool. Or you can throw in a lionfish, that would be cool...just dont touch it. Ha ha.

ChenLung
05-03-2015, 04:41 PM
awesome thanks for the replys! Ya I was afraid the Scripps pump would be walking distance away from parking so that I would have to carry full containers. Any other recommendations on HOB skimmers? I know a sump with an internal skimmer is ideal but unfortunately I can't afford the space right now. I've looked into the reef octopus and aquamaxx...both seem pretty comparable, any preferences or other recommendations?

ChenLung
05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
OR CPR Bak-Pak skimmer? Cheaper than other skimmers i've looked at, any question of durability or efficiency? Or is it just a difference of volume?

ChenLung
05-03-2015, 04:54 PM
O and still not very clear about lighting...since i'm doing FOWLR it doesn't really matter right? I think i've read the biggest concern with lighting is if there are corals involved? What is a rough price difference between lights appropriate now and with corals? Would hope to progress to a reef tank in the near future so perhaps I could get a reef compatible light now instead of upgrading later.

crabbysd
05-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the addiction Bro. If your running a skimmer you dont need the aqua clear. On filter is fine. one or the other really. I personally would suggest a HOB refugeum($15 breeder box + air pump) chato, provides algae control and good bugs with a bak pak skimmer (got mine for $30 here on the boards).
I assume you have a 60 long so a 4 foot fixture is perfect., A set of 2 or 4 tubes fluroescent fixture T-5 in 10,000k with a couple of actinics will not only make your tank look good, they are cheap, as everyone is going led.
Also you can grow many kinds corals with that setup, once you decide to put the needle in you arm. LOL
Figure $75 to $150 for a fixture and I bet you stay well under $100. Don't be afraid of lighting. Except cheap LEDs Thats just a light, usually they cost the same and thier color will make your algae go nuts.(warm white)
Check the boards for fixtures, super cheap and really cool people here just encouraging the hobby. Ebay has 4 foot 10k and actinics 2ea for about $40 when it comes time to change them.( I run the same brand but power compact.)

I had a 30 gal long with HOB fuge and oversize Aquaclear and it was up for over 2 years with no unusual problems. Also had several nanos kike that.

I have a remora hob skimmer in my sump. Its ok. Meh.

Welcome to reefing.
J
The king of cheap.

ChenLung
05-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the addiction Bro. If your running a skimmer you dont need the aqua clear. On filter is fine. one or the other really. I personally would suggest a HOB refugeum($15 breeder box + air pump) chato, provides algae control and good bugs with a bak pak skimmer (got mine for $30 here on the boards).
I assume you have a 60 long so a 4 foot fixture is perfect., A set of 2 or 4 tubes fluroescent fixture T-5 in 10,000k with a couple of actinics will not only make your tank look good, they are cheap, as everyone is going led.
Also you can grow many kinds corals with that setup, once you decide to put the needle in you arm. LOL
Figure $75 to $150 for a fixture and I bet you stay well under $100. Don't be afraid of lighting. Except cheap LEDs Thats just a light, usually they cost the same and thier color will make your algae go nuts.(warm white)
Check the boards for fixtures, super cheap and really cool people here just encouraging the hobby. Ebay has 4 foot 10k and actinics 2ea for about $40 when it comes time to change them.( I run the same brand but power compact.)

I had a 30 gal long with HOB fuge and oversize Aquaclear and it was up for over 2 years with no unusual problems. Also had several nanos kike that.

I have a remora hob skimmer in my sump. Its ok. Meh.

Welcome to reefing.
J
The king of cheap.

Thanks!

I see right on, then would I be able to get away with just the aquaclear temporarily while I'm housing just rock and fish? Figured I could get started right away and build up slowly as my budget allows, or will I be in a world of hurt with just the aquaclear being insufficient? rock sand and water is about all I have in my budget for at least the next month or so :/

crabbysd
05-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Yea probably so. I assume the aqua is rated foe a 60gallon or better.. Get a couple powerheads thought. Amazon has the 800 ghps sunsun for $8each prime. You need flow for healthy bacteria and critters or they will die.
Run a bag of carbon in the filter like fresh water and a bit of sponge and filter media to trap the crap.
as far as rock goes, desighn your tank the way you want it to look. Dont worry abought weight yet. I bet youll be over when your done.. See chris at vets pets first on rock, always good stuff and its generally cured and cycle has started.
You can use dry sand as a base but you must cure and cycle it first. Must. Must.
For a 60 its brobably bout 40lbs o live sand. Just buy it new this time. Safer.
New live sand and already cured cycling rock you can pretty much start putting fish in right now. But you should wait. Play it safe.
not like me.
pm me ur number. My fingers get tired of typinhg

gus6464
05-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Another thing to note is that the age old way of putting a zillion pounds of live rock into a tank is quite antiquated. You can pretty much put as much or as little rock as you want. All you have to do is have a strong skimmer overrated for the size of your tank.

crabbysd
05-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Another thing to note is that the age old way of putting a zillion pounds of live rock into a tank is quite antiquated. You can pretty much put as much or as little rock as you want. All you have to do is have a strong skimmer overrated for the size of your tank.
yep. Different strokes for different folks.

crabbysd
05-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Oh btw. Live rock is a biological filter. It absorbs the bad stuff. Skimmer and aqua are mechanical filters, it suck the badstuff out. A bit o both is good when going low budget. Yea you could use a canister filter too. I still gotta reccomend the 15 dollar hob refugeum w chato. It helps a lot and cost $15.