PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy glass for sump baffles?

SDJIRICEK
02-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Anyone know of a place in san diego where I can buy glass to baffle my 30L. I'm using it for custom sump/refugium. I know where I can buy scrap acryilic but the guy at Octopus Gardens seems to think that I won't be able to join the acrylic to the glass without the acrylic comming unstuck. I know Home Depot carries glass but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for aquariums, besides it's a little expensive. I wouldn't want any glass treatments or leachates in my tank water. As an aside, is it fairly easy to cut the glass to size? I know you score it and then pop the edge to get a clean break but I've never done this before. Any advice would be appreciated.

treylane
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Acrylic -> Glass is fine for a sump baffle so long as the water levels aren't too drastically different in the diff partitions. Just use a lil more silicone than you normally would. I've done it w/no probs.

Dakota
02-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Home Depot, Lowe's. It's where I got mine. Plus you can use acrylic to glass.... just isn't as strong of joint.

adampweiss
02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
someone posted this link for non-bonded sump baffles. I'm gonna give it a shot. Let you know how it goes.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm