PDA

View Full Version : Need help in getting started

SanDiegoDentist
04-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Hi! I am just getting started in this hobby. I am thinking of getting a 300 gallon aquarium. I've read that the bigger the aquarium, the more stable it is. First of all, where is a good place to purchase the aquarium, cabinets, lights, and other equipment needed in San Diego? Second, what equipment do I need and what brands are good? Do I need a chiller, heater??? Thanks!

jetli1969
04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Send pm to 50 cube, he got all the answers for you.

CMD2213
04-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Budget is what will decide you're tank and equipment purchases.
Available free time will decide your setup and cycle time (letting tank establish proper paremeters for livestock to safely live in).
And most IMPORTANT OF ALL......PATIENCE AND RESEARCH!
This hobby is too expensive to rush and make rash and uneducated decisions. One wrong addition of coral, invert,fish can cost you everything in your tank. So welcome to the hobby it is AMAZING and addicting! All the SDR members here are more then willing to help out anyway possible. Keeps build thread from when you start your first tank purchase to it getting water in it etc...
Goodluck.

SmilinAvnger
04-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Research, research and more research :) Depends on how much you have to spend. (Both money and time) And also what you want to keep in it.

Where are you located?

LotsaFishies
04-16-2015, 03:47 PM
LotsaFishies Aquarium Service -- this is what we do! :)

www.lotsafishies.com

I will send you a private message a little later.

SanDiegoDentist
04-16-2015, 04:06 PM
I live in Scripps Ranch. You're right. Trying do as much research as I can before I start buying things. Thanks!

SanDiegoDentist
04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much! How do you know that a coral and fish is wrong for you tank???

jkennedy1007
04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com/compatibility

CMD2213
04-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Corals research them some are toxic to you or other corals,some can sting you and other corals. Some fish bite and release poison etc..

SanDiegoDentist
04-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much for providing me this link to determine compatibility of corals and fishes. This will really be helpful.

XO PRESENTS
04-17-2015, 02:09 PM
+ 1 on LotsaFishies ... Great Service and a very swell guy in general :) He's moved my tank three or four times now.
LotsaFishies Aquarium Service -- this is what we do! :)

www.lotsafishies.com (http://www.lotsafishies.com)

I wil+1l send you a private message a little later.