PDA

View Full Version : Niagra Falls

supaboy1981
02-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Ok so I tried to put a durso stand pipe in my tank today to bring the water level in the overflow up and not hear a gurgle sound and falling water. I should have read the directions because it wont work with my setup.

On the diagram below you can see all my plumbing.

Apperantley with a stand pipe you cannot have any bends (like with tubing) at all. You can do diagnals and slight bends but anything else and the durso wont work.

The reason is because with a durso it utilizes air in the drain and the air has to be able to come out the end in a straight shot. If it doesnt happen that way and the air cant make it in a straight shot then it does a flushing action and its even louder than I had it before.

Now I tried going back to the way I had it before which is just a tube of 1 inch pvc with hole drilled in it and it still makes a flushing noise thats really loud.

NOw I have ruined my night with my fiancee (which its her birthday by the way) for a stupid project that should have taken 10mins to do and turns into a 4 hour mess trying to get teh dang tank to be quite. Any suggestions?

I did use different PVC though. I used schedule 40 and there is some thinner stuff that and my stand pipe was made of I saw after I bought the pvc and had it cut. Could that be the problem there??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/supaboy1981/fish%20stuff/tankdiagram.jpg

supaboy1981
02-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I did leave out a cap which I saw a stand pipe working without a cap today and didnt think I needed one but I guess I was wrong. I will updaet you guys tomorrow after the fiasco is over

jwelch87
02-09-2006, 06:57 AM
You mispelled my home town's name. It is spelled Niaraga Falls.

BrookR1
02-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I thought it was spelled Niagara Falls...not Niaraga Falls.

jwelch87
02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
whoops I was so upset that I mispelled it. Yes, it is Niagara Falls. :)

brncsfns5621
02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I did a modified durso and is completely silent.... I'll try to find the thread I posted the pic on.

brncsfns5621
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
here you go, this doesn't go in the overflow, but attaches the PVC inbetween the tank and sump.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11281

MrKrispy
02-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I need to put a cap over the top, and drill a single hole in it. Now it is silent (except for the water splashing around in the sump).

supaboy1981
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I put a cap drilled a 1 /16th hole and it works. Trouble is that I didnt make it tall enough so you still hear water splashing. Not as bad but still hear it. I am gonna buy another piece of pvc thin wall tomorrow and redo it

supaboy1981
02-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Rock an d roll Redid it today with thin wall pvc made it longer and I can only hear a little trickle but thats the best its gonna get from me