PDA

View Full Version : fragging advice

FishRFrndsNtFud
02-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I am going to attemp to frag my frogspawn...where do you guys suggest I look for directions?

thanks

dhuynh
02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
For directions, try maps.google.com =)
For instructions, it's pretty easy. I use a dremel to cut around the branch as far away from the soft part as possible. You don't have to cut all the away through, just an edging all the way around, then just apply pressure and snap if off. Mount the frag on a piece of LR using epoxy and you're set.

I am going to attemp to frag my frogspawn...where do you guys suggest I look for directions?

thanks

FishRFrndsNtFud
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
For directions, try maps.google.com =)
For instructions, it's pretty easy. I use a dremel to cut around the branch as far away from the soft part as possible. You don't have to cut all the away through, just an edging all the way around, then just apply pressure and snap if off. Mount the frag on a piece of LR using epoxy and you're set.

OMG! everyone's a comedian! ;)

what's a dremel? can I use really sharp scissors?

dhuynh
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
hmm.. I wouldn't use a scissor because you'll have to apply pressure, which could be dangerous. The dremel is the greatest invention of all time for DIYers.

http://www.dremel.com/en-US/tools/

The "hard" part of the frogspawns are actually pretty brittle, so if you don't use a dremel to edge it first, you might split the coral vertically, which is not good.

FishRFrndsNtFud
02-08-2006, 04:52 PM
ok, thanks

Dakota
02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I always just snapped a branch off w/o a dremel... at least fore the skinnier ones..

phishphood
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Fragged em both ways. Before I got a dremel just held the branch in my hand and snapped it where i wanted it snapped. Dremels do make it easier though. Also, if you have anything else you need to cut (just about any other LPS) then dremels are awesome.

lucubrator
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Side cutters (wire cutters) and bone shears are both tools as well.

farrington300
02-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I use dikes.

FishRFrndsNtFud
02-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I use dikes.

uuummm...do I want to know what that means???

lucubrator
02-08-2006, 10:34 PM
dikes are the first thing I suggested. Mike used the industrial term for them. ;)

fish fu
02-08-2006, 11:46 PM
I got my 206 piece rotery set at Costco for about $30. Don't do hard corals right over the tank like I did my first time. I got my whole tank nice and milky.
or you could just smack the coral on a table for old time sake. It wont die, just slap it on the side of the tank and be done with it. lol

colindoug3
02-09-2006, 12:40 AM
scissors worked for me. i dont know if sharp matters. you arent going to cut the skeleton, it will break under pressure. mine was Y shaped, and i was able to put the scissors right down the middle. both sides had long skeletons.

supaboy1981
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
I just break mine

dhuynh
02-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Anytime you apply alot of pressure with sharp objects, you're asking to get hurt. Plus a lot of coral are toxic. It'll be like cutting yourself with a toxic knife or scissor. Better safe than sorry.

scissors worked for me. i dont know if sharp matters. you arent going to cut the skeleton, it will break under pressure. mine was Y shaped, and i was able to put the scissors right down the middle. both sides had long skeletons.

colindoug3
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
perhaps not the best idea... but it seemed like my best option at the time.
when i got the hammer frag from whatever he used pliers (leatherman) to grab a head and break it off.

farrington300
02-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Any time I can use that word I do. Dikes are sort of like sharp pliers, they are the best to frag I think

uuummm...do I want to know what that means???