PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Fans for canopy

Live Water Aquariums
02-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Just wondering who has the most quiet and reliable fans for air flow in and out of a canopy. Have used several different computer style fans, I've gotten them dirt cheap (10 bucks) from the industrial supply place next to OG, but price isn't really an issue right now, the noise level is what's important. Thought someone might have a link to something online or a local source. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dakota
02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
The DC fans are quieter than the AC fans. The ACs seem to 'whine' more. If you get the 4" fans, they are a bit louder than the 3" ones. splicing a 12V power adapter would be neccessary to power the DC fans. But I think they work the best. Currently I have AC, but will switch as soon as this one dies.

shmitr
02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I use variable speed 120MM computer fans. Like Dakota said they're much quiter but you have to splice in a power adapter. Just look around for no longer used adapters (from answering machines, cordless phones, etc) and wire them up.

Live Water Aquariums
02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
The DC fans are quieter than the AC fans. The ACs seem to 'whine' more. If you get the 4" fans,

Good call. I currently have 4" with the DC fans on converters, and they are a lot quieter than others. I'm just looking for the most quiet possible for clients who want silence. I don't expect silence but I know my computer is pretty quiet. I think the rating was about 18 db. On the fans I have which is better then a lot I have seen in the 30 db range. Just wondering if there is a specific supplier that sells super quiet fans. My computer has a fan and I can't even hear it, but at fry's and staples the fan's I have seen are like 38 db. I'm not very web savy so I was hoping someone might know. Thanks for the help.

shmitr
02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
If it's a heat issue, you could always go with quieter, lower flow fans in the hood that are quiet and add a cheapo Walmart clip on fan blowing on the sump where the sound is more shielded from the room. That'd keep the tank temp down without the need for alot of flow in the hood. Just an idea...

lucubrator
02-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Vantec makes good fans: http://www.vantecusa.com/p_sf_6025l.html
THis looks like it's worth reading too: http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustifan.asp