PDA

View Full Version : *** is scripps water?

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Can anyone tell me what scripps water is and where you get it from?

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure but you might get flamed for that.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:14 AM
I just want to know.

T. VO
06-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Filtered ocean water from the scripps pier. And the best part, it's free.

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Its water that you get from the scripps pier. You can get it for free from a spicket there. from what I have heard everyone likes it.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by SoKaL ReeFiN
Filtered ocean water from the scripps pier. And the best part, it's free.
What do you mean from the scrpps pier what's the address where is it located?

brahm
06-12-2004, 12:29 AM
at Scriips by La Jolla it's a part of san diego.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Is it a store that has that water or you just get it from the sea or ocean watever.I know where la jolla is but I've never heard of scripps water untill now.

ConUSsd
06-12-2004, 12:42 AM
if you have friends that surf, they'll know where scripps pier is. just ask them.

brahm
06-12-2004, 12:49 AM
to be honest i can't rember all the street names, i just know where it is lol, do a google search for Scripps Pier

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Alright thanks.

jetor
06-12-2004, 06:50 AM
-52 West
-Exit Ardath Rd/La Jolla Parkway
-Come down the hill and at the second stop light turn right which is La Jolla Shores Dr
-Follow La Jolla Shore Dr till you hit the Scripps Institute and turn left at the Discovery Way (Naga Entrance) and follow this down to the pier.

Hope this helps.......if not just do a search on La Jolla in Yahoo Maps, bring the map to street level and it lists the pier (hint: it is near the ocean.....haha)

JT

nalbar
06-12-2004, 06:56 AM
obarrera, i would like to apologize for the lack of help you recieved. sometimes internet sites get 'insular' and new comers get picked on. this place is starting to get like that.

i assume you are coming from san diego

take 5 north to highway 52 and go west, 52 is now La Jolla Parkway. take La Jolla Parkway all the way down to La Jolla Shores Drive and go north to Naga (discovery way). Naga is right at Scripps Institute of Oceanography. go West on Naga and wind all the way to the pier. if you pull right up to the pier gate (you will see what i mean) you will see the spigot and hose on your left. fill 'er up! if you go during the day almost certainly there will be a worker or a person getting water to show you whats what.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&zoom=9&mapdata=OE4WNszgW9y7MyFjdsVW59EvkeWPGag3MZPLI%2fTk Qf0zXTYYkFhbnaIIIaWGStirfzlYIXt6HL7MuZhOImsmhaeR3I Obz2RtAMWOBe0JyP%2fSjiHBTM0xFw4O1%2bKpb95Fk6bmLHOg TbtbJ%2bos%2bhJZg83S1M%2fMvBJohnwaNh%2buJfqzniuAco tZrRHsy3fBot7oZxMjChYAWseoJSlZ23m0BWkVfwYPzuDI9ggj L5BPw7%2bw6nvRpkjUSMjcGoa%2fs5az9qDq%2bS9kl3rH5twr U9qy9KoDfRsRePW0kTydJuYNVX8%3d

dont drop the tip of the hose on the asphalt, hang it on the pipes.

oh jet! you beat me by a couple minutes!!

nalbar

ricestudios
06-12-2004, 08:03 AM
look for this...

http://www.ricestudios.com/scrippswater.jpg

SanDiegoReefs
06-12-2004, 08:39 AM
But seriously.... use the search option next time. There are at least 5 threads that have "Scripps Water" in the title... and almost each of these has info and directions.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=13975&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

That being said, welcome to the forums... and I hope you enjoy the plentiful Scripps water as much as everyone else does.

-moore

nalbar
06-12-2004, 09:01 AM
nice pic rice! those rusty poles look just like the electrical conduits in O.G.!

nalbar

nalbar
06-12-2004, 09:08 AM
btw, one of the reasons people like to ask instead of using the search feature is to get a dialogue going, in other words, to belong.

to many like to think 'laziness' is why, but this (in most cases) is a mistaken belief, and a misunderstanding of what most people us the internet for. a good example of what i am talking about is to respond 'use the search feature'. in many cases it takes more effort to think of a pithy way to say that than to just answer the question!

what is so hard about going to mapquest and answering the question for the original poster?

it is always extremely interesting to watch the dynamics of a site develope!

nalbar

MrKrispy
06-12-2004, 09:59 AM
nal,

I think it is more of a "help those to help themselves". That is the reason people always respond with "do a friggin search" because the same questions happen every week. Encouraging people to do searches helps them learn to be self sufficent.

And showing off tanks is a good way to start dialog! :)

obarrera
06-12-2004, 10:50 AM
I appreciate all your help everyone thanks.:)

brahm
06-12-2004, 11:35 AM
we need to make a "Valuable Information thread that is sticky" it should have all the stores numbers & address, scripps links, links to "so your setting up your first tank articles, ect"

Like this section page of articles if great for nubs http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

obarrera
06-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Yup that would be very helpful.:D

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 12:23 PM
your only suppose to use one of those spickets right?

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 12:25 PM
now that I look back at that pic I can see only one can be used. nevermind.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 12:39 PM
What happens if I mix my saltwater with scripps water?

brahm
06-12-2004, 12:48 PM
nothing

nalbar
06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
all great suggestions! certainly the question about scripps is going to be repeated. and directions to tongs and jeff's and reef collections (connections?)

nalbar

brahm
06-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
all great suggestions! certainly the question about scripps is going to be repeated. and directions to tongs and jeff's and reef collections (connections?)

nalbar

don't fergot the question about wether i'm single or not, that one comes up alot to.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 01:20 PM
If my fish are use to my salinity and then suddenly I put scripps water won't the salinity change and my fish would die?

nalbar
06-12-2004, 01:21 PM
you never know which direction a tread will go!

actually you can use both spigots. you just have to carry your own handle and hose. you never know when brahm will be there grabbing 150g and wont fill up a 5g bucket for someone behind him.

i was there today and what a freaking nighmare up by SDSU! wall to wall traffic.

nalbar

nalbar
06-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by obarrera
If my fish are use to my salinity and then suddenly I put scripps water won't the salinity change and my fish would die?

you wont have a problem if you do it with your reg water changes. just do it 10-15% a week and you will be fine.

nalbar

brahm
06-12-2004, 01:32 PM
you never know which direction a tread will go!

actually you can use both spigots. you just have to carry your own handle and hose. you never know when brahm will be there grabbing 150g and wont fill up a 5g bucket for someone behind him.

i was there today and what a freaking nighmare up by SDSU! wall to wall traffic.

nalbar

sniff sniff, I wish I was filling up a 150g that would mean I got a bigger tank.. for now I just fill up 28, and for whatever reason I usally don't go there till after 11 pm

obarrera
06-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Okay I just asked cause I don't want to have any problems with my tank.

brahm
06-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Okay I just asked cause I don't want to have any problems with my tank.

Yea it's all good I strated mixing switched to scripps, been thinking about switching back but i'm to lazy.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Sometimes I think about going to la jolla just to get water cause I live in Chula vista and is kind of far.Can I go whenever I want to that place?

ricestudios
06-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Sometimes I think about going to la jolla just to get water cause I live in Chula vista and is kind of far.Can I go whenever I want to that place?

ya same here i live near the national city area, just north of you and i do my fish run (og, aw) atleast 3 times aweek. (yes im addicted) i usually go to scripps twice a month for my every other week water changes. its not that bad. i just need more containers to carry water. i need 50 gallons, anyone got any thing to hold it that i can borrow for a weekend?

obarrera
06-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah I wanna buy like a 32 gal container so I won't have to be going all the time.

nalbar
06-12-2004, 02:47 PM
you can go anytime. 24 hours a day. i usually go before 7 in the morning. and i live in oceanside so dont complain about distance!

i use 5g containers. normally i take 3.

i do 10% (or more) on my nano and 80g a week. by next winter i will be working in la jolla and driving right by scripps morning and afternoon. my water changes will skyrocket! maybe 20% a week! at least there will be some benefit to working in that hell hole.

nalbar

obarrera
06-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I think I'll buy 5 gallon buckets too cause a 32 gallon container is too heavy.

suver569
06-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I think I'll buy 5 gallon buckets too cause a 32 gallon container is too heavy.

Check out walmart. I found some nice 7 gallon jugs that have a top that is reversable. Flip it one way, it closes the jug, flip it the other way, it turns into a spigot. It's pretty handy, especially if you like to ease your fresh water top offs in like I do. I think they were 6 bucks a piece.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 03:11 PM
I'll go look for that.:D

SDRotary
06-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I have a six gallon version from walmart and ir works ok, The spigot is nice, but it rarely gets tightly closed, no matter what I do it leaks a little.

MrKrispy
06-12-2004, 03:54 PM
obarrera,

Make sure you check the salinity of the water before you add it, NSW can fluctuate occasionally. Be sure to read those old threads about it here and on Nano-reef

obarrera
06-12-2004, 04:43 PM
What can I do if the salinity is to high or too low,what do you mean by test the salinity?:confused:

GEFRANKLE
06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
If salinity is too high add distilled water or ro/di water. If the salinity is too low buy a small amount of salt mix in your LFS and add a bit at a time until salinity is where you want it to be. Test with a hydrometer or other salinity measurement device.

George

obarrera
06-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I already have a bag of instant ocean salt and also a hydrometer.:D

MrKrispy
06-12-2004, 06:44 PM
The temp is usually pretty low too, so throw a heater in if you need to use it pretty quickly.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Yeah I already have my heater.:) How is the scripps water ph?usually

T. VO
06-12-2004, 07:42 PM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82&highlight=scripps

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=996&highlight=scripps

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253&highlight=scripps

READ!

obarrera
06-12-2004, 07:45 PM
I DO READ!

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm stoked. Because of that pic rice posted and someones directions I finally made it down there today. Ive been wanting to switch to this for awhile but never had an idea of where it was. Got some water and then my girlfriend and I went to the birch aquarium. That place is rad. Not allot of reef stuff but some cool sharks.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I already read that and it was helpful thanks,I never read comic books,the only stuff that I like to read is about fish.:D ..........Im serious.

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Thats why I did it. Mixing water is a pain in the a$$. i'm stoked about it i feel like an idiot cause i didnt make the change sooner.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JeromeBaker
Mixing water is a pain in the a$$.
Why dude?

ricestudios
06-12-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm stoked. Because of that pic rice posted and someones directions I finally made it down there today. Ive been wanting to switch to this for awhile but never had an idea of where it was. Got some water and then my girlfriend and I went to the birch aquarium. That place is rad. Not allot of reef stuff but some cool sharks.

lol yup i got other pictures of the area. i should post them. like take a picture of every turn so people know. i had a print out that i was gona give to ron to post on his shop but i keep forgetting to bring it. ya the place is kewl! ima go there in the morning and get water before the bbq. ima get rubber maid big container and fill up trash bags tight them tight and bring it home lol.

obarrera
06-12-2004, 09:10 PM
It will help even more if you do post pics.http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/cwm/cwm3d/3dsmirk.gif

MrKrispy
06-12-2004, 09:14 PM
or people could just be a LITTLE adventurous and try to find it themselves. It's a friggin PIER!!!!!!! lol.

CALBear
06-12-2004, 09:15 PM
I thought it was just a fluke but I went down to Scripps today to get water and it was flooded with algae and other "gunk" (such a cool word).

I actually had to get my hands into my water change can and net out a few of the big pieces.

Maybe its a Saturday thing?:confused:

obarrera
06-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
or people could just be a LITTLE adventurous and try to find it themselves. It's a friggin PIER!!!!!!! lol.

Yeah That too.http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/edoom/biggrinbounce2.gif

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by CALBear
I thought it was just a fluke but I went down to Scripps today to get water and it was flooded with algae and other "gunk" (such a cool word).

I actually had to get my hands into my water change can and net out a few of the big pieces.

Maybe its a Saturday thing?:confused:

i got water today too but it looks fine. Your tellin me you were pulling pieces of algae out of yours?

obarrera
06-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Mixing water is a pain in the a$$.
Now that your here,I could ask you this again,http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/stretch.gif
Why is it a pain in the ass?http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Are you just getting into this hobby?? Anyway, the reasons mixing salt water sucks:

1. Time consuming
2. Always have to **** around adding more salt or replacing water with rodi to get a decent salinity
3. messy
4. I'm running out of things to use as a funell to get the salt into the jug without getting it onto my floor(which leads me into the next sucky thing)
5. dumping salt on the floor
6. Gettng yeld at by girlfriend because she can never find the 1/2 cup measuring cup
7. its a pain in the A$$

obarrera
06-12-2004, 11:35 PM
[B]Are you just getting into this hobby??B]
Yeah I decided to read and learn alot because I don't want to kill any fish,atleast not that much when I set up my tank and offcourse after either.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angels/saint.gif

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah I decided to read and learn alot because I don't want to kill any fish,atleast not that much when I set up my tank and offcourse after either.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angels/saint.gif

good stradegy. I and fish O plenty wish I would have done the same thing. Good for you.:)

obarrera
06-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Almost everyday I learn something new.

MrKrispy
06-12-2004, 11:49 PM
obviously heh heh

JeromeBaker
06-12-2004, 11:50 PM
yeah no kidding. Keep it up and I'll have to request that the priveledge be yanked. lol!!

obarrera
06-13-2004, 12:00 AM
JeromeBaker I've noticed that you post more at night that in the day.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/orange1.gif

JeromeBaker
06-13-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm nocturnel

obarrera
06-13-2004, 12:52 AM
I think you are.^http://mindscraps.com/s/ups/dvx_rune/eye.gif

SD619
06-13-2004, 12:56 AM

Did you go there Saturday afternoon? Some guy was there with his girlfriend the same time I was there with my girlfriend. Everytime I see a new face at Scripps, I always wonder if they log on to these forums.

obarrera
06-13-2004, 01:01 AM
I think it was him.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angry/paranoid.gif

MrKrispy
someone mentioned before, we need to get a telltale codeword or handshake or something. Although I think it would be weird to try so shake someones hand when I see them at the Peir.

mayeb we could all say "bacon" when we get outta the car

JeromeBaker
If you saw that guy and his girlfriend get in and out of a white ford thunderbird yes.

JeromeBaker
06-13-2004, 01:02 AM
someone mentioned before, we need to get a telltale codeword or handshake or something. Although I think it would be weird to try so shake someones hand when I see them at the Peir.

here's a winner.

SD619
06-13-2004, 01:10 AM

I like bacon.

obarrera
06-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Yeah me too.http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/contrib/edoom/handball.gif

alien4fish
06-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by ricestudios
look for this...

http://www.ricestudios.com/scrippswater.jpg OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH THE HOLEY SPIGET! YOU SHOULDNT SHOW THE HOLEY SPIGET ON THE INTERNET:p

CALBear
06-13-2004, 08:16 AM
I have gotten water there for 7 years without a single problem.

I am not saying it was so bad I had to throw it out, just there were some new algae additions to the usually clean water I get there a few times/month

I am still VERY happy we have the option. I know my corals dont mind the free plankton and other micro organism feeding they get from it

obarrera
06-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Which one is better the one that has that green hose or the one that has that white thing?http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/edoom/Thinkingof_.gif

nalbar
06-13-2004, 11:56 AM
you can only use the one with the hose. the reason is.... it's the one with the hose!

nalbar

obarrera
06-13-2004, 12:14 PM
OH

SanDiegoReefs
06-13-2004, 04:07 PM
btw, one of the reasons people like to ask instead of using the search feature is to get a dialogue going, in other words, to belong.

to many like to think 'laziness' is why, but this (in most cases) is a mistaken belief, and a misunderstanding of what most people us the internet for. a good example of what i am talking about is to respond 'use the search feature'. in many cases it takes more effort to think of a pithy way to say that than to just answer the question!

what is so hard about going to mapquest and answering the question for the original poster?

it is always extremely interesting to watch the dynamics of a site develope!

nalbar

I know I'm a little late, but I've been nowhere near internet access.

nalbar: His question was already answered, so I felt it wasn't necessary to repeat the directions. I was pointing out that the search option is a great tool. The link I posted was for "Scripps Water" threads, and most of them contain more info than just directions and what it is. Some address the SG of the water, as well as calc/alk levels... all info that I thought would be helpful. I get why people post, especially when they're new to the thread... they get anxious to post something and feel like part of the group. I should have sounded more welcoming, instead of "But seriously, use the search.." .. and I apologize for being short. It was a hectic day, supposed to be packing and sitting on sdreefs.com instead, geeez. Why is this place so addicting?

On another note, we're working on putting together a main homepage for sdreefs.com that will have all the good info that people need: Scripps directions/info, LFS info, etc. I've still got a few days until I get settled here, so I won't be on much.

-moore

obarrera
06-13-2004, 04:31 PM
That would be nice.:D

BlueLagoonSD
06-13-2004, 04:54 PM
damn jason i hate you..u laying out at the beach while im stuck in the library for a week...dude ill die to be in ur shoes right now..

how is it by the way?

obarrera
06-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Who's jason?

BlueLagoonSD
06-13-2004, 06:00 PM
moore=jason

traff
06-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey,
I've been instructed by some buddies who work at the Scripps Aquarium not to get water from the spigot at certain times.
They told me it's not a good idea to get your water at Scripps during a Red tide algae bloom or during heavy tidal surge (as in around the time of a storm).

Other than that, since I've switched to Scripps water all of my corals have grown much faster and curiously my Red Sea Xenia pulse like mad after a water change with Scripps water. (They didn't do that with man made salt water).

Just thought I'd throw that in.

TRaff

ricestudios
06-13-2004, 09:08 PM
so when should i go get water? i was thinking about this getting some tomorrow around 6pm.

suver569
06-13-2004, 09:11 PM
You can go anytime during the day, I think he's talking about before/during/after a storm. I think after a storm would be bad because of the run off.

ricestudios
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
lol ya i know. i just thought it was already infected or somethin. so i guess ill be getting water then.

brahm
06-13-2004, 10:10 PM
all the water sits in a holding bin anyways it's not like your getting it fresh from the ocean that minute.

SDRotary
06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
I was told by a scripps employee those bins are sand filters to help clean it before it goes into anyones tanks, including their own.

brahm
06-14-2004, 11:38 PM
yes, it goes through those first, and then a holding bin, and then comes back down to the tap, the holding bins splits off to the diffrent deparments...

BrookR1
11-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Very cool/informative thread...thanks for the info. I'm thinking about making a water run this weekend (from Temecula). I have a truck...anyone in north county wanna ride? I would like to hit VMA while I'm down there too...just to check it out.

Brook