PDA

View Full Version : B-Ionic vs Ca. Reactor

Jas0863
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Have anyone compared the Coraline Algae color and growth between that attained from usage of B-Ionic and a Calcium Reactor? Looking for inputs on your observations.

sacredfire
02-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I havent tried to observe the difference but before I had a reactor running I do recall scraping the front disdplay more often.

I just do what you do. CAReact + dose.

You da man!

dhuynh
02-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I got more coraline w/ a CA reactor... but it's probably because I fail to dose as often as I should when I was using the b-ionic stuff. Honestly though, switching from VHO/PC to MH made a huge difference for me.

GoTakuF1
02-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't believe the method of maintaining alk/cal affects the coloration/growth of coraline. As long as the water chemistry is clean and stable, whatever you have in your tank will explode, including coraline. So I tend to the cheaper method of dosing kalk/reactor (Bionic can get expensive for larger tanks in the long run). Of course there are so many types of coraline algae with different coloration and lighting/flow requirements. One of the best looking coraline I've seen was with Fred (Sokalreefin)'s tank, it was a lavender/pink plating type, absolutely beautiful (and he was using Seachem buffer)!

sacredfire
02-05-2006, 03:36 PM
it was a lavender/pink plating type,

Oohh thats some nice stuff!

Is it possible to get spores of that into my tank and it produce the same way?

Jas0863
02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
B-Ionic tend to produce purple-bluish Coraline Algae, however, with a Cal. reactor it seems to fade somewhat, then an underlying pinkish Coraline Algae appears. Have you all notice this?

farrington300
02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I think this is just the natural progression of a reef tank. I remember when i first got my LR there was a ton of different typs of coraline. Now after a year or so seems as tho the purple and red are taking over and forcing the other colors out.

B-Ionic tend to produce purple-bluish Coraline Algae, however, with a Cal. reactor it seems to fade somewhat, then an underlying pinkish Coraline Algae appears. Have you all notice this?

GoTakuF1
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
When I'm cleaning my pumps with vinegar, the coraline covering it turns from the deep purple to a nice pink :)

Dakota
02-05-2006, 07:18 PM
I say if you have a large tank (100 +) use a Ca Reactor (If you can afford it) It not (or a smaller tank) Use Kent's Liquid Reactor.... and maybe another alk buffer in case you need it.

SDFISHMAN
02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I have a CA reactor for my 15G..

navyblue09
02-05-2006, 08:02 PM
i run a ca reactor on my 24 and i have bright purple, pink and very few spots of green. i also have noticed a more stable and continuious growth rate in my coralline and as well as all my sps. the b-ionic is a easy and effective route to go if you are a "budget" reefer. but if you do the math the ca reactor will pay for itself in a couple years if not less. i got tired of buying alk and calc mixes as well as other suppliments at $20 per bottle and finally i bought a reactor and i am glad i did.

swissfish
02-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a CA reactor for my 15G..

How is that working out for you? Do you use a controller?

SDFISHMAN
02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I havent set it up yet.. I think I'm going with a 30G fuge too..

sacredfire
02-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I havent set it up yet.. I think I'm going with a 30G fuge too..

Thats beacause Im going to be the Early worm...:D