PDA

View Full Version : Which supplements are necessary?

bumbux
03-02-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm new to reefing. What are the necessary supplements I need to add to the tank if I plan on keeping corals? I've been reading a bit on Kalkwasser, is that the way to go? Also, is that all I would need to dose, or are there more supplements I need to go with it? My tank is a JBJ 28 Nano cube.

jada1
03-02-2015, 04:54 PM
It depends on what you're planning on keeping research is key don't add any livestock in to the tank until you have done your research..then if you have anymore questions after from what you have learn ask away. It would be a great idea to start a build thread so we can guide you along the way. Goodluck

Funkateer_1
03-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Maintain your levels at the following:

Carbonate (measured in degrees of alkalinity): 7-8dKH
Calcium: 400-420ppm
Magnesium: 1200-1400ppm

There are simple test kits and additives that you can use and add if your levels are low. I like b-ionic if you are starting out. Very easy to use for beginners.

Do not use Kalkwasser.

keepswimming
03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Maintain your levels at the following:

Carbonate (measured in degrees of alkalinity): 7-8dKH
Calcium: 400-420ppm
Magnesium: 1200-1400ppm

There are simple test kits and additives that you can use and add if your levels are low. I like b-ionic if you are starting out. Very easy to use for beginners.

Do not use Kalkwasser.

Adding on to this! Maintain these as well as temp, phosphate, nitrate and salinity, all stable and you should be able to keep almost all corals in no time!

There are a couple main ways to maintain these parameters, Two part (Like the ESV Bionic A and B Mentioned above) or a Calcium reactor. You have a nano so i would recommend the two part! You can even purchase a doser and set it up to dose automatically! I agree with Jada1, do research before doing anything(even if someone on the forums tell you its ok) and post your build / Livestock intentions for help. Best of luck!

bumbux
03-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Cool, thanks everybody! I'll see if I can get some pictures taken and start a build thread when I get the rest of the equipment in.