PDA

View Full Version : Berghia Question

mcdonaldtj
02-04-2006, 11:17 PM
I have a question for those berghia buffs out there, I bought 2 berghia's to try and take care of my pesky aptaisia problem but I have never seen them. Well with a comment made after I thought that my purple tang might have eaten one, someone mentioned that they are nocturnal and that it couldnt be a berghia that he ate. Well tonight I decided that I was going to watch the tank after the lights went out. Sure enough I seen something moving extremely quick down the side of the tank and onto the sand. The bottom looks like a regular snail and the top looked spikey well that is the only way that I think I can describe it. I looked up online what a Berghia is supposed to look like and here it is
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/mcdonaldtj/Im003089Young.jpg
Now this is what I have in my tank, it is about the size of a large margarita snail with spikey things. I could not get a very good pic because I only had moonlights on and the camera couldnt focus in the dark but here it goes.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/mcdonaldtj/P1010006.jpg

Now here is the question can this be one of my berghia's it is extremely fat compared to the picture and it is huge where the pic has been magnified 10 times.

Kee
02-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I bought a berghia when they group buy went on. After i put him in the tank, i thought he had died because i never saw him again. Then one day he just popped up and was huge in comparison. Looks like the first picture.
My tank is in my office, so i can't check it out at night. I definitely have noticed a drop in apatasia in my nano.

iwantone
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
That's one for sure. THey hide until almost all the aptasia are completly gone. If you start to see them on the glass, its time to collect them and put them in a tank with more aptasia or else they will starve to death.

mcdonaldtj
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Well the aps are definately not gone yet so unless he is just searching around at night he still has lots to eat. I though that was pretty cool that I finally saw him because that thing was so little when I got it I thought that it would be fish food real quick. Thanks for the replies.

V/Tim

iwantone
02-06-2006, 02:20 PM
They eat the small ones deep in the rock work first. Then they go after the big ones.