PDA

View Full Version : sps feeding

Therapy
02-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I am "new" to SPS corals and now have a bunch of colonies, thanks to you guys at sdreefs. I was talking to Danny today about the feeding of SPS corals. I have NEVER fed my tank anything specifically for my corals.
What do you guys do when it comes to feeding your SPS corals?
Jasper? Chap? chinmonster? flamehawk?

500 gallons in your home is just awesome !!!!!!!!!!!

dhuynh
02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Marde, I feed my coral about twice a week. But then, I have mostly LPS and softies right now. I don't know about SPS yet, but here's an article that makes sense:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fdreefinverts.htm

Your SPS might be doing great right now w/o feeding, but maybe it'll grow faster w/ more polyps extensions if you do feed them. I guess reefing is about experimenting, so why not try it for a month and see? =)

Jas0863
02-04-2006, 11:09 PM
I feed my tank every 2 days using one cube of Mysis Shrimp, Mussel and Prime Reef. On off nights, I feed Cyclopeeze as that's when several corals extend their tenacles looking for food. I do not spot feed.

MrKrispy
02-04-2006, 11:53 PM
bah you don't need to feed sps, it just makes you feel involved in your investment. ;)

(i use cyclopeeze and rotifers)

Flamehawk
02-05-2006, 12:38 AM
I do use turkey baster to feed my coral, just hoping by doing so they get little bit more food than just dump the food in the tank and hope they catch enough. Currently I feed 1 to 2 times a week of mixture of tank water, phyto feast, and cyclop eeze. My fishes always come by and try to eat the cyclop eeze as they come out of the turkey baster. :D