PDA

View Full Version : Question on closed loop setup

reef
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I am planning on installing a closed loop soon and wanted some advice before starting.

1. Where should the tank be drilled for the outlet? Inside the overflow box? Halway down the tank back?

2. Should I be concerned with placing the outlet to far down in case of a pump or plumbing failure that would drain the tank?

3. If the loop was plumbed with 1" outlet, should the return be the same size?

4. Is it overkill to drill 2 outlets and connect each to their own return pump?

Thanks.

IgotCrabs
02-02-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
good site and you won't have to drill your tank

phishphood
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
1) you can drill it wherever you would like the intake to be. leading to...
2) nothing can over flow. A closed loop is exactly that...closed. There's no where for the water to go. Comes from the tank, through the pump, back to the tank. You have to use an external/in-line pump (not sure of the difference there)
3)I'd say it could, but doesn't have to be. Smaller should probably be okay too as long as you don't put too much pressure on the pump.
4)No it's not overkill, but you could also drill one hole for the intake and then run the plumbing from the pump through a SCWD that leads to 2 bulkheads on the tank. SCWD basically alternates which pipe water flows through. Pretty cool and great for movement in the tank.

reef
02-03-2006, 08:12 AM
4)No it's not overkill, but you could also drill one hole for the intake and then run the plumbing from the pump through a SCWD that leads to 2 bulkheads on the tank. SCWD basically alternates which pipe water flows through. Pretty cool and great for movement in the tank.

Do you have the SCWD installed on your tank? I've read some reviews on RC complaining that the design of the connectors on the device are prone to leakage.

phishphood
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Installed and running since.....August or so. No leaks there. Although I do think the inside of it is slowly starting to freeze up a little which they have been said to do. Intervals between switching are getting longer I think. But I did get it used so it's been through a good deal of use already.

lucubrator
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I think will bought it new before I told it to you mitch.