PDA

View Full Version : electrical work

BlueLagoonSD
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
The area where my tank doesnt have any outlets near by. Just wondering how hard it is to hook up an outlet. All this electrical talk confuses me. I know for a tank this size need its own circuit:confused: I dont know... Hoping one of you handy man can help me plan out what I need to have set up.

Go Hernando
06-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I hear extention cords work well. Beyond that, I'm not much help.

BlueLagoonSD
06-10-2004, 11:33 PM
lol thats what i was planning to do too, but I think I will be juicing the hell out of one outlet ....dont wanna blow any fuses...does that even happen...lol i dont know anything about electricity:confused:

SanDiegoReefs
06-11-2004, 12:22 AM
I think there are a few in-house electricians here. Try Dave M. I forget who else does electrical work, but I know there are a few.

-moore

suver569
06-11-2004, 04:30 AM
<---------

I'm a Journeyman electrician. I'm going to be hooking Chap up with some power for his tanks just like you need. PM me and we can talk.

jetor
06-11-2004, 05:47 AM
You will definently need several dedicated curcuits for the tank.

The way I figured out my tanks was to add all the max loads (amps) that my equipment would be drawing and added 25% to that so that I wouldn't be at peak amp draw at any one curcuit. I then split the two biggest power consumers (chiller and metal halides) onto the two separate 20's.

I would venture a guess that you will need three to four 20 amp curcuits.

Jasen

BlueLagoonSD
06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
:confused: is the procedure and equpiment costly? Sounds complicated?

Bickmade
06-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by suver569
<---------

I'm a Journeyman electrician. I'm going to be hooking Chap up with some power for his tanks just like you need. PM me and we can talk.

Wow, i was thinking the same thing. Any chance you can hook me up too LOL

ricestudios
06-11-2004, 11:39 AM
i need help hooking up a inwall ground fault inturrpt thing or gound plug what ever its called outlet.

Bickmade
06-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by SoKaL ReeFiN
Looks like there's going to be a waiting list..

yea looks like it. "will frag for more outlets"

jetor
06-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BlueLagoonSD
:confused: is the procedure and equpiment costly? Sounds complicated?

Well.........you have a 500 gallon tank.......and you are worried about cost? You have just started the spending...... :)

I did my electrical myself but I am handy that way......

My breakers were about $36 a piece (older style breaker), depending on the distance from your breaker box 12-2 wire runs about $15 a 50 ft box, 20 GFCI recepticals run (one for each curcuit) $19 a piece, reg 20 amp recepticals run (how ever many extra you want) $4-5 a piece (off the top of my head).

The big cost is having an electrician do the work: I would venture a guess of $75 an hour at 4-5 hours of work.

Jasen

BlueLagoonSD
06-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jetor

The big cost is having an electrician do the work: I would venture a guess of $75 an hour at 4-5 hours of work.

Jasen

:(

SanDiegoReefs
06-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ricestudios
i need help hooking up a inwall ground fault inturrpt thing or gound plug what ever its called outlet.

Super easy. This is one electrical job that I did myself.

-moore

suver569
06-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ricestudios

PM me, we can talk.

I wont charge fellow reefers as much as I normally do.

The biggest factor is responsibility that follows the work. If you do work to your own house, and it burns to the ground, you dont have anyone to blame.

If something happened (and btw, it never has, and never will) after i've done electrical work, it's pretty easy to point fingers. Now I know none of you guys here would do that, but it's a really stressful thing to take on.

The major thing for me, is when doing work like this, it does take away from my family time. I already work 6 days a week, and i'm gone for 11-12 hours, not to mention the 5 years of school i've gone through, state testing i've gone to school for, paid for testing, Books i've bought for studying, yadda yadda blah blah. It's been a long road of work, school, and time away from my family already.

I'd also consider working out a deal for frags or equipment if that's an option for anyone. Just lemme know what you need and when you need it, and i'll try to hook everyone up.

Chap has first dibs already, I promised him a new circuit in his house, just need to make the time to get there. Bluelagoon would be next on the list, and ricestudios after that. Just PM me and we can talk.

suver569
06-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Chap

BTW I still haven't mailed back the IceCap... are you in a rush for the WorkHorse?

thanks again...

No rush, still got 2 more 24w bulbs to add to my 29 before I'll need another ballast, and I'm not even sure I'll really need then. I'm probably gonna switch to t5's on my 55 gallon too, so I wont need the extra ballast unless I add more than 4 lamps, which i'll probably wind up doing. So, No rush on the ballast.