PDA

View Full Version : Whats up SDReefs! New(ish) to San Diego!

hyemp
01-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Hey all,

I moved to San Diego from Boston about a year and half ago. In Boston I had a 12 gallon nano cube and I liked it, but I did not love the AOI type system, it was just to limiting in almost every aspect. I made some mods in terms of lighting, but that was pretty much it.

Since moving here though I have been out of reef keeping, but I am moving into my house with my wife in just a few weeks, and with moves no longer being an issue at least for 5 years(I hope!), I am going to rebuild! I'm probably about 6 weeks out before I start buying any equipment, but I am very much in the planning stages, and if anyone wants to help me plan with suggestions, I am all ears! Also, any recommendations of where to shop locally! I like supporting local business, especially in the reef keeping world! I'm in Mission Valley so anywhere relatively close.

Even though I am moving into a house from an apartment, there is still some space restrictions. I am pretty much set on the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long. I know its narrow, but I love the long look and shallow reef. It looks much bigger than what it is.

Filtration is where I am most undecided. I was thinking a CPR Aquafuge 2 large and thats it. What I put in there, I am still trying to decide on that too. I don't think I will run a skimmer or an underneath sump or anything because the tank is not drilled and I don't have the confidence to drill it myself and more importantly, plumb it all myself. Carpentry, I can do...plumbing not so much.

Lighting I am thinking Current USA Orbit Marine LED and for flow a MP10.

Anyways, any input is much appreciated! It is a pleasure to meet you all, and maybe we can get a beer downtown sometime! I'll be sure to start a build thread here once I get going. Cheers!

jasonp87
01-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Welcome Hyemp! There is tons of knowledge on this board and plenty of people to answer just about any question you can think of.

Lots of really good local stores here. He have AquaSD and Aquatic Warehouse over on Clairmont Mesa Blvd. There are several others around town that I'm sure others will chime in on.

Lots of livestock and equipment for sale here as well so be sure to check those threads if you need something.

The plans for the new tank sound great. Can't wait to see it.

hyemp
01-07-2015, 10:02 PM
I've already stopped by both of those places just to see them. Both of them are awesome, so many great frags at Aqua SD. Thanks again!!

CMD2213
01-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Welcome to SDR always nice to meet a new member. As for the tank those are nice little nanos. Member Ratkiller has been a well recommended tank driller.
Make sure to start a thread for your tank. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions, members here are always more than willing to help out in any way possible.

jasonp87
01-07-2015, 10:11 PM
+1 on ratkiller, he has drilled many tanks for me and they are always perfect. Here is his thread if you decide to go that route. He is in Mira Mesa.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75403-I-can-drill-your-tank.&highlight=ratkiller

jkennedy1007
01-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Welcome!
got budz out in Boston...wicked nice :lol:

+1 orbit marine led
+1 mp10

use both , and highly recommend

hyemp
01-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Welcome!
got budz out in Boston...wicked nice :lol:

+1 orbit marine led
+1 mp10

use both , and highly recommend

Yeah man, Boston is an awesome city. Had a lot of fun there. Good to know about the lights, my only concern would be if they're bright enough for sps, but with a shallow tank I feel like it should be fine. The tank is less than a foot deep.

jada1
01-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Welcome to SD start a build thread we can help you better as you go along happy reefing

hyemp
01-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks! I will certainly start a build thread when I get started. I just learned about Scripps water. Does anyone use that?

Bcube29
01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks! I will certainly start a build thread when I get started. I just learned about Scripps water. Does anyone use that?

It's the only water I use, and i think i can speak for many others. That water is low on Mg CA and ALK so I add a little to bring up to what my DT param. I make my own CA and ALK. I did try RODI and salt mix, but didn't see difference, only the fact that i had to pay for salt and still add chemicals. I get about 30 Gals on water and store in dark place, do water change 5 gals a week and if my tank feels lucky it gets 2 times a week.

btw my wife is from Boston and she loved it there until i brought her to SD lol

hyemp
01-08-2015, 11:54 AM
It's the only water I use, and i think i can speak for many others. That water is low on Mg CA and ALK so I add a little to bring up to what my DT param. I make my own CA and ALK. I did try RODI and salt mix, but didn't see difference, only the fact that i had to pay for salt and still add chemicals. I get about 30 Gals on water and store in dark place, do water change 5 gals a week and if my tank feels lucky it gets 2 times a week.

btw my wife is from Boston and she loved it there until i brought her to SD lol

Boston is such a fun place, especially for drinking haha.

I'll have to look into Scripps Water for when I start my tank up. Thanks!

jada1
01-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Ya been using it 5 years

jkennedy1007
01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Yeah man, Boston is an awesome city. Had a lot of fun there. Good to know about the lights, my only concern would be if they're bright enough for sps, but with a shallow tank I feel like it should be fine. The tank is less than a foot deep.

I use the larger 36" models x 3 on my main display "deep tank" will grow almost anying IMO
shallow tank with sps will get plenty of light.

or if you have a nice budget check this thread I put up on nano lighting
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?115315-Best-nano-LED

hyemp
01-08-2015, 01:41 PM
I use the larger 36" models x 3 on my main display "deep tank" will grow almost anying IMO
shallow tank with sps will get plenty of light.

or if you have a nice budget check this thread I put up on nano lighting
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?115315-Best-nano-LED

Nice - yeah I would get the 36-48" size and I figure that would be plenty for anything from SPS to nems to clams or whatever. How was it programming the thing? I heard trying to set it up outside of the presets can be pretty hard.

jkennedy1007
01-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Nice - yeah I would get the 36-48" size and I figure that would be plenty for anything from SPS to nems to clams or whatever. How was it programming the thing? I heard trying to set it up outside of the presets can be pretty hard.

here's my review on them:http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?115440-Current-USA-Orbit-Marine-LED-Saltwater-Reef-Lighting-System

M3 pre programmed preset's work's great for growth...I kept that timing and intensity same, but programmed blues to run a few more hours for me @ night.
easy to program IMO ,but im programming 3 ramp timer's at once, its a hassle, bonus to having three separated ramp timer's... lightning and cloud mode looks killer.

hyemp
01-08-2015, 01:51 PM
here's my review on them:http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?115440-Current-USA-Orbit-Marine-LED-Saltwater-Reef-Lighting-System

M3 pre programmed preset's work's great for growth...I kept that timing and intensity same, but programmed blues to run a few more hours for me @ night.
easy to program IMO ,but im programming 3 ramp timer's at once, its a hassle

Nice - dude your tank is DEEP! haha, I think one will suffice, and if need be I can add a second if I really want to add a ton of SPS, but we'll see if we get there. I'm still really trying to figure out what I am going to do for filtration...

jkennedy1007
01-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Cpr overflow and sump it!
CPR Aquafuge 2 and skimmer wont work by themselves to create a healthy system.

plumb up and make fuge out of a sump compartment add the largest skimmer you possibly can.

ill help if need be
but you sound like someone who knows what there doing here.

hyemp
01-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Cpr overflow and sump it!
CPR Aquafuge 2 and skimmer wont work by themselves to create a healthy system.

plumb up and make fuge out of a sump compartment add the largest skimmer you possibly can.

ill help if need be
but you sound like someone who knows what there doing here.

I thought about that, but so many people tell me, (and I am somewhat of the mindset as well) that for a 12 gallon a skimmer isn't really needed. I've never done a sump system in the past, but I could probably figure it out. Ideally, I would like to turn my old jbj nano cube (12 gallon as well) into the sump system. Not sure how I would do it, but that is what I would like to do cuz the cabinet space underneath isn't huge.