PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for Cadlights 8

Sancho
01-06-2015, 02:03 AM
I know its not necessary. I also know someone is going to say water changes is all I need in a tank that size. I can sometimes get too busy to do weekly water changes. Plus I like the aeration a skimmer provides. So for my piece of mind I would like to put a skimmer in this tank. I have narrowed it down to 3. I would like input from people who have these skimmers. Are there any other skimmers that will work in a small tank that are better than the ones I am looking at?
1. Tunze 9001
2. Cadlights PLS 50 elite
3. IM Aqua gadget desk top Ghost skimmer

jkennedy1007
01-06-2015, 02:24 AM
I have used the 50 elite and the eshopps nano "both similar"
on my clients tanks.

we scrapped skimmers due to them collecting to much skim in a weeks time and overflowing in or out the nano, before I could return to service.

they need a goose neck design with a bigger collection cup IMO

30% water changes every 2 weeks has solved this problem for us,

but I would rather have skimmers running on both getting a full skim

spidernano
01-06-2015, 07:50 AM
http://www.picoaquariums.com/pico-5g/141-pico-skim-20.html

jkennedy1007
01-06-2015, 02:10 PM
:theman:

thank you so much had no idea this existed / killer design and idea.
Do you have 1?

bout to order up a few. Would love some personal feedback.

@Sancho this could be it! brah

spidernano
01-06-2015, 03:09 PM
I had a mameskimmer that was all glass hit same concept it kicked ass

But the guy that owns pico is a sponsor on nanoreef and has a lot of people using it on tanks as smalls as the cadlights 4g
With crazy good results

Sancho
01-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I saw that awhile back when I was looking for a new pico tank. The only reason I did not buy it is I remember how loud those air pumps can be. Wife would not approve of the constant humming noise the air pump makes. I had some airstone skimmers back in the early 90's and the constant humm of the air pumps made me nuts. Have the made a silent air pump yet?

spidernano
01-06-2015, 10:49 PM
I was using the tetra whisper 10 from petco in my room couldn't even hear it

Sancho
01-06-2015, 11:17 PM
I was using the tetra whisper 10 from petco in my room couldn't even hear it
I just did some research on air pumps. Wow they have changed since I last had an air pump on one of my tanks. They sounded like mini air compressors constantly buzzing, humming, vibrating. Price is right on this skimmer and its made in the U.S. I was going to buy a complete system from them last month but this Cad Lights 8 was to good a deal to pass up. I think I will get that skimmer. Its half the price of the ones I was debating. I will update this thread on how it works for me as I know I am not the only person out here with a pico that would like to run a skimmer.

spidernano
01-06-2015, 11:19 PM
You won't be disappointed I think it's like 1-2 week break in and after that it pulls out some good stuff
Please at $60 for the skimmer its a steal

I would order like 4 or 5 more limestones with your order I think they need to be changed like every 2 or 3 months

jkennedy1007
01-07-2015, 12:23 AM
there claiming free shipping till i check out. :lol:

Sancho
01-07-2015, 01:27 AM
I had a mameskimmer that was all glass hit same concept it kicked ass

But the guy that owns pico is a sponsor on nanoreef and has a lot of people using it on tanks as smalls as the cadlights 4g
With crazy good results
You dont happen to be the guy that owns pico?

Sancho
01-07-2015, 01:48 AM
$89 with their only shipping option and I have to buy an air pump. $69 was attractive but to spend $16 to ship something that weighs less than a pound forget it. I dont need it overnight and dont need it 2 day. Offer USPS OR real UPS ground rates I cant justify spending that on something when I know what it really cost to ship something commercially. If I am in no hurry I can get something of that weight shipped to my house from china for $5. Companies that put a huge markup on shipping ground piss me off and I dont deal with them.

jkennedy1007
01-07-2015, 02:07 AM
$89 with their only shipping option and I have to buy an air pump. $69 was attractive but to spend $16 to ship something that weighs less than a pound forget it. I dont need it overnight and dont need it 2 day. Offer USPS OR real UPS ground rates I cant justify spending that on something when I know what it really cost to ship something commercially. If I am in no hurry I can get something of that weight shipped to my house from china for $5. Companies that put a huge markup on shipping ground piss me off and I dont deal with them.

agree completely! shipping they offer is a joke:crazy:

but considering the price of everything I've tried/ researched /& bought already ...i am hoping this is my jelly to mah peanut butter.:lol:

ordered up will review in due time

oh there only $69 right now with 5% off deal going on, just realized

jkennedy1007
01-07-2015, 02:16 AM
You dont happen to be the guy that owns pico?
there stationed in IL, doubt that.:D

spidernano
01-07-2015, 07:49 AM
lol I wish i owened it so I would have to buy tanks

Sancho
01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
agree completely! shipping they offer is a joke:crazy:

but considering the price of everything I've tried/ researched /& bought already ...i am hoping this is my jelly to mah peanut butter.:lol:

ordered up will review in due time

oh there only $69 right now with 5% off deal going on, just realized
I am ordering one also. I just wish they made the profit off the product and not some BS shipping mark up. Had they priced it at $80 and offered $5 usps or the real ups ground rate I would have no problem with it. 2 months ago I had to buy 2 LED chips the total was $6 they charged $18 for ground shipping from San Fransisco I was blown away when the LEDS showed up a week later in the mailbox they didn't even use UPS or FedEx. I dont get how some people do business. But it is what it is. There are some unscrupulous people out there. I also ordered a Tunze 9001 under $100 and free 2 day shipping:angel:. I want to compare the 2. It is strange I have had many tanks. For some reason I am obsessed with this little 8 gallon.

hyemp
01-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Let me know how the pico goes. I'm looking for something for my 12 gallon and this seems like it could be pretty sweet, but I would actually like to see someone set it up/use it.

Sancho
01-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Let me know how the pico goes. I'm looking for something for my 12 gallon and this seems like it could be pretty sweet, but I would actually like to see someone set it up/use it.
I will have the tunze 9001 in 2 days. I have no shipping confirmation on the pico skim yet. So I will try the Tunze first. I have a tunze skimmer on my 90 and have had Tunze pumps I love the Tunze products. Very quiet and outlive anything else I have put in my tanks. German engineering is the bomb digity.

jkennedy1007
01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
i got my confirm today on pico

lmk how that tunze is for sure ,

diggn these nano's with ya brother:beer: