PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp

Bickmade
06-10-2004, 07:01 PM
I need a cleaner shrimp ASAP. Anyone know if cleaners remove ich? If you have one and live close to lemon grove and are willing to sell one Ill play 25 for it!

brahm
06-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Bickmade
I need a cleaner shrimp ASAP. Anyone know if cleaners remove ich? If you have one and live close to lemon grove and are willing to sell one Ill play 25 for it!

They have them at Aqautic and Octopus Garden, they will help out with ICH but they won't save an ICH infested fish.

Bickmade
06-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by brahm
They have them at Aqautic and Octopus Garden, they will help out with ICH but they won't save an ICH infested fish.

ouch, our fish might be doomed, but they only have a few spots. I dont wanna do a freshwater dip nor do I wanna do that copper sh!t. hmmmmm

BlueLagoonSD
06-10-2004, 07:12 PM
i wouldnt over react and stress them out even more, just let them be if they are eating well, mix the food in garlic. From experience, i think catchin them and putting them in a another tank will stress them out and lower their chances of making it. My tang was covered in ich, i mean from tail to mouth, and i was so tempted to take him out for treatment, but i stopped myself. I just feed him alot and soaked the food in garlic. And slowly ich went away, and i also got a neon goby who did a great job at finishing the job up....

brahm
06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
or hyposalinity, according to alot of the RC members check out the fish disease forum over there.

Bickmade
06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
one of our fish is a neon goby, and the other two are a green banded and streaked-eyed. i'm soaking their food in garlic right now and still thinking of getting a cleaner tomorrow.

JeromeBaker
06-10-2004, 09:37 PM
what roll does the neon goby play in removing the ich?

MrKrispy
06-10-2004, 09:39 PM
neons are cleaners also, however I don't believe they are very efficent as far as removing the parasite completely.

JeromeBaker
06-10-2004, 10:05 PM
wow I didnt know that. So your telling me a neon goby will clean other fish?

MrKrispy
06-10-2004, 10:34 PM
larger fish yes. IME, didn't exterminate the ich though, just want to reiterate that.

brahm
06-10-2004, 11:55 PM
yea my neon goby would hitch rides on my tang all the time kinda cool.

jetor
06-11-2004, 06:13 AM
The couple of times ick has shown up in my tank (usually after a new fish is added) I have used Tropical Science Marine Max and it has work everytime. Yes it is reef safe.

Jasen

Bickmade
06-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by jetor
The couple of times ick has shown up in my tank (usually after a new fish is added) I have used Tropical Science Marine Max and it has work everytime. Yes it is reef safe.

Jasen

can it be found at the LFS?

jetor
06-11-2004, 07:37 AM
can it be found at the LFS?

Yep I get it at AW .........it is bottled in a two part connected bottle with different colored tops. It is in the dry goods section with the food and other meds. I don't dose chemicals too often but this stuff has always worked for me after two doses following the recommended dosages per gallon of each bottle.

JAsen

jetor
06-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I also soak all my food in Kent Zoe (vitamins) and Kent Garlic before each feeding so I am sure this helps keep the fish in top shape for fighting off diseases as well.

Bickmade
06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by jetor
I also soak all my food in Kent Zoe (vitamins) and Kent Garlic before each feeding so I am sure this helps keep the fish in top shape for fighting off diseases as well.

will regular garlic do? yea its another trip to AW or OG. WOOO HOOO.

jetor
06-11-2004, 09:11 AM
will regular garlic do? yea its another trip to AW or OG. WOOO HOOO.

Reg garlic extract from Henry's or Wholefoods works as well, I am just too lazy to go to another store.

REEFWAVE
07-06-2004, 01:58 AM
neon gobies are awsome cleaners they even get all the places the shrimp overlook. also at least with my fish a few wouldnt hold still for thrimp, but the neon goby just swam along side and cleaned as they swam. i thought i remembered reading that the gobies might also remove the infection as well as the parisite.. i too woul agree they are not a cure, but can help. i have never had to remove a fish for treatment, i feed garlic and vitamin enriched food and always have a few cleaner species present. i have heard the marine max can also help.. i use to use nitro max on my FO and i did see an improvement in fish health and overall water quality, so i think so far tropical sciences products are fairly trust worthy.