PDA

View Full Version : What are the best power heads?

D_moran13
09-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Hey guys. I just bought a new 110 gallon tank that came with EVERYTHING but power heads. What would you guys recommend for the brand? Thx, Dylan

sdnd
09-23-2014, 07:54 AM
get some jebaos if you are on a budget but want something good...if you got the money then you can get the vortechs.

acbaldwin
09-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Hey guys. I just bought a new 110 gallon tank that came with EVERYTHING but power heads. What would you guys recommend for the brand? Thx, Dylan

The best are probably Ecotech or Tunze. Never had either. I love the paired Jebaos for the money.

Funkateer_1
09-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Tunze powerheads are the highest quality without a doubt. This is reflected in their price of course. Tunzes generate a very strong, direct flow. Perfect for SPS tanks. Tunzes play very well with controllers like Apex so you can bypass the need for a tunze controller. Tunze waveboxes are awesome too. Nothing makes a surge like those things do.

Vortechs are excellent and provide very wide and chaotic flow. The controller is very intuitive as well. IME they do have long-term bearing issues and can start to make noise if their not taken care of. Luckily Ecotech has the best customer service in the industry.

Jebaos are 'knock off' Tunzes, and provide a flow pattern similar. They are however very poor quality. I have already thrown away several units. I still have one functioning one on my tank, and it does work well. From what I hear, warranty services are crap as well.

pirate2876
09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
I run a few of each. You cant beat Tunze for quality and performance. Awesome powerheads, but rather expensive. Well worth it IMO.

Vortechs are another nice powerhead. The best feature IMO is there low profile and variable flow patterns. Be prepared to replace wet sides. They get noisy.

Currently running a RW-15 as well. Love the amount of flow for little dough$$. Its rather big and hideous in my tank however. Cant speak about reliability with these, as this is my first one and I have only ran it for about two months.

jada1
09-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Got a tunze and I love it...I also love my vortech if you can spend the money I would do it.. its worth every penny

Sancho
09-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Hands down the Tunze is the best. Although the new pumps from Neptune look very nice. I have never been a fan of the Vortech due to the cost and the dry side of the pump, I think it looks tacky. Although i have been in this hobby long enough to realize all pumps will fail eventually. So with that being said I run the Jebao's. Personally I would rather replace a $60 pump as opposed to the $300 to $600 for a Tunze or Vortech.

Bogg
09-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I've always loved tunZe
But recently my jebao rw 15 is pretty awesome just don't know how long Itll last my
Tunzes on the other hand damn it's been like 8 years

KorL
09-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Vortech are the best water movers with different wave modes. Expensive though. Requires parts to be replaced after a few years.

Tunze. Best all around. Move water and most quiet of the major wavemakers. Pricey also. But last very long without any replacement parts. Awesome customer service.

Jebao. Budget wavemakers. Move lots of water. Longevity of pumps still unknown

bbandu
09-23-2014, 11:16 AM

I have some that you can use if you havent purchased any when the tank get set up

jflip2002
09-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I run Tunzes. I've had the OG MP40, and wasnt impressed. Im sure they have made improvements on the noise and functionality, it was just overpriced, IMO. You cant aim the flow without moving the entire powerhead.. I like my Tunzes, you can leave them in the back corners of the tank, and aim as necessary. I've had 6045, 6080, 6101s, all were awesome.

seabass1
10-18-2014, 08:50 AM
If I had the cash, I'd buy a Bugatti Super Sport myself, I guess.

I was fortunate enough to buy a complete system from a dude in IB. The system came with a used Tunze 6050 or something like that (not made anymore). That little unit still pushes water!! Probably the best power-head I've used & mostly for functionality. Would I pay 200 bucks for 1 power-head? HECK NO!! You can buy a ReeFlo return pump for a bit over $300!!

What about the old Maxi-Jet 1200's?? I'm talking about the original one's made in Italy......MJ1200 Cobalt I think they are called (40 bucks). And Koralia......nobody mentioned Koralia power-heads??

Buy something within your budget. Think everything through before buying on impulse: Sumps, Protein Skimmers, lighting. You can buy 8 Koralias & 12 MJ1200's for the price of 1 Vortech PH & all your doing is moving water? Buy something solid that you need, not because it's "Kool". Your corals will prove this to you over & over again.

Everyone does it. I fell into the LED craze & was sober enough to sell & get out. I'm stuck right in the middle with maximum T5's & my corals came back in no time. LED's will get there. Bio-Pellet's? Save your cash & stick with a real nice refuge display!!

Back on track: 1 or 2 Tunzes in front........2 or 3 MJ1200's in back behind/around rocks. A 110 makes a great DT. My first SW tank was a 110 tall & you will need to chop up that current a bit.

Have you looked into a closed loop for water circulation? That would work if you got a larger return pump & you could save major cash there. Then buy 2 Tunze's for your lower rear corners!!!!

OK, sorry guy's......dream over.

Good Luck Dylan!!