PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Confrontation while getting saltwater at Scripps Pier

Pharmboy
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
At 6:30pm today, my wife and I went to get saltwater from Scripps Pier. As I drove down the road, I slowed for the surfers to move their boards, and for a car to park. There was someone in a large pickup that drove up behind me and got aggressive by getting very close to my rear bumper every time I moved forward and started waving his hand toward me and said to get the F out of his way.

I put my hand up in the air....then moved into the loading area. While I got out of my car to get to the tailgate, he pulled his truck behind mine, effectively blocking my car in and got out of his car. He got right up to me, inches to my face, and told me to get the F out of his way again. He was there to get saltwater and I was in his way. I told him to get in line....Unpleasant words were exchanged and things got more heated.

My wife then got out of the car and told the guy that he was wearing what looked to be UCSD scrubs and asked if he was affiliated with UCSD, then took a picture of him.

He seemed to be taken back by this, then just got in his truck and pulled over to the front of the pier gates. Guess the wife saved my butt as the guy did try to intimidate and instigate contact.

The guy was a white male, ~6 ft 6 inches, ~250 lbs,curling grey hair, bulbous nose, likely in his mid 50s. He was in sage green scrubs, driving a late model white Toyota Tundra extended cab.

I will post my wife's pictures of the guy and truck shortly.

This is very unsettling. I'm a skinny Asian with glasses and it's not like I was challenging this guy to a MMA grunge match....he has serious anger management issues.

Even the surfers stayed clear of this guy.

CMD2213
09-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear bro

jasonp87
09-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Wow, glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

davocean
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Hate hearing stuff like this, especially among fellow hobbiests.
We are very fortunate we get to use Scripps filtration system, sure don't need some jackhole blowing that or making issues.
Sounds like your wife set his head straight, and yes, you should post pics.

miguel
09-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Post pics I ********n hate went people does this went you are with your wife......

Milmikee
09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
My gawd man, who the hell goes psycho over getting some water. Why not use it as opportunity to meet someone in a hobby you are into too. Sounds like this guy is a 14K arsch hole.

jada1
09-08-2014, 09:38 PM
The bigger they're the harder they fall..lol man the water is free and its not gonna go anywhere. .lol

tootall
09-09-2014, 04:46 AM
I'm curious to see who it was I'm down there once a week and have met some cool down to earth people.

BajaReefs
09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Something similar happened to me. I was leaning over inside my car filling up my jugs when some surfer asked me to use the water. I told him to hold on a bit that I'm almost done. He couldn't wait so he turned the water off on me. He was standing in between my car and the faucet so when I leaned up out of the car to go turn it back on, he just walked away. He got scared :lol:

BajaReefs
09-09-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm curious to see who it was I'm down there once a week and have met some cool down to earth people.

I thought it was you when I read the height :eek:

tootall
09-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Does the surfer know that he is rinsing his shiz off with saltwater. ...lol defeats the purpose of washing the saltwater off ...With saltwater newbs...and Carlos I read the same thing and it sure does sound like me...minus the giant lifted dodge filling up scrips water listening to the smooth sounds of bob marley......calms all the angry people as they approach. Or the fact that I'm 6-7 may help...

Yolo
09-09-2014, 08:52 AM
It is a full moon. I would contact UCSD security and report it but then if people start arguing over water then they close the water. Good thing it was still light. Post the PIC and we can all expect it. What a nut but go figure, there are a few out there. Not worth the conflict. Glad it worked out.

I need to go get some water, think I will go around 6:30 PM

Funkateer_1
09-09-2014, 09:08 AM
This is why I usually get my water somewhere between 11pm and 1am. Nice and quiet :D

paulyboy18
09-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Pic????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pharmboy
09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I thought about reporting it, but don't want the actions of one psychotic jerk to ruin our access to a great resource.

PIC Deleted - contact YOLO

I'll see if my wife has the image of the guy getting in my face.

SmilinAvnger
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Anybody work for the DMV and can run those plates?

jasonp87
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Anybody work for the DMV and can run those plates?

I know I've seen that truck before. Vanity plates make you easy to id.

Milmikee
09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
If you think the guy should be reported, I for one would recommend it. However, I understand your hesitation because you don't want the salt water resource to become an object of contention and possibly removed. However, it is very sufficient to say this guy was driving unsafe by following you to closely and appeared to be having anger issues. He was upset with you because you were driving slowly and occasionally stopping for pedestrians. You pulled over to allow him to pass and he was the one who chose to stop too and make a confrontation with you. You are focusing on his anger issues and the reason for the confrontation rather than the salt water resource. The police will be more than happy to assist you when you say that you don't want any type of report, you just want them to be aware of the problem because you feel he may be a danger to others. The officer will be pleased he doesn't have to take a report or do any follow up but he will do patrol checks for this vehicle and maybe even make contact if sees the vehicle in the future. The officers motivation will be to prevent having to take a report in the future because this guy is an idiot.

ManTis
09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I would of waited til he was done getting water then see which way he was heading then call 911 and report a drunk driver. You will be surprised how fast the police will respond to the call. I have reported many road rage and drunk drivers and see how fast of a response I get.

Bogg
09-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Crazy I know that guy and he's super nice

CMD2213
09-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Ill keep an eye out on ucsd by my job at Jacobs medical center

cyn
09-09-2014, 03:09 PM
that is so not cool.

you know, i've run into *******s around the LJ
area. my hub was actually driving down Girard
near where all the shops were and like you,
we were slowing down and waiting for cars to pull
out, pedestrians, etc. car behind us with some
dudes were honking the entire time, shouting,
tailgating.

this was like on a weekend.

it's not a matter of getting to anything faster,
it's just entitlement and lack of politeness and
common decency. they wound up swerving past
us and shouting obscenities (i had my two little
kids in the back--i don't think they knew or cared)
and i totally roared right back at them. ha!

it just pissed me off so much.

i don't think they were local, but who knows.

this guy, obviously is. maybe he had a bad day,
but really, it doesn't matter. that kind of aggressive
behavior is just inexcusable.

cyn
09-09-2014, 03:10 PM
OH SNAP I GOT FILTERED. ha

naso tang
09-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Gosh what an experience. I was down there one weekend and got kinda frustrated when I was in line, but it was because people in front of me were chatting it up while filling their water (or rather, being at the hose and not really filling up but bsing while i was obviously in line). Took forever for the two peeps in front of me to fill their 5 gallon jugs. Oh well. I thought about stepping out and asking them to focus on the job at hand, but instead just waited. 20 minutes later they were both gone.

The surfers, on the other hand, I let em rinse off while my car is there, I could care less and they have just as much right to be there as I do. They don't seem to get what we are there for though, instead thinking the pad is built for them to rinse off.

nanoreef1
09-09-2014, 04:47 PM
They seriously need to get this guy!😠

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bogg
09-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I sent this thread to chuckys2 I'm going to let him defend himself and tell the real story

jasonp87
09-10-2014, 12:24 PM
If this thread becomes a problem or a battleground it will be shut down. If the person in question is a member it should be dealt with privately between the 2 parties. There are two sides to every story, not a single "real" side.

Bogg
09-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Well I better answer for him then
I asked him what happened at the hose the other day?
How'd you hear about that?
I said it's on the boards!
He said This guy told me to f off. Wrong thing to say
I said he didn't say that said you blocked him in got in his face to get the f out of your way
He said
He said he was waiting for the sunset
And replied get your water or get out of the way
He then said F off
I would have been angry too the hose isn't look out point

I just don't think the op is accurate with what happened and is playing victim which has created an angry mob to chuckys2
Someone could get hurt over this

CMD2213
09-10-2014, 12:43 PM
He's in the forum? Would love to hear his side

SmilinAvnger
09-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I think it should be handled privately. It sounds like it will just become a my word against yours sorta thing.

I think the moral of the story is that we are all(Or at least should be) nice people. We are all busy people. When getting your water, get in and then get out of the way for the next people.

No problems sticking around to chat, but move your car/truck so the next person can get in there with their containers right?

CMD2213
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Fellow reefers should respect eachother and all society but not everything is that simple.

seareef
09-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Closing this thread to let the two parties resolve this matter privately.

Thanks for understanding.

Chad

Yolo
09-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Pic deleted