PDA

View Full Version : Scripps Users !read Me!

brahm
06-08-2004, 02:50 PM
For anybody out there who is using scripps water can you please test your Phosphates and post them online, also if you have any equipment in place to element phosphates, as I just setup a new frag tank and found myself already knee deep in phosphates! Nothing has been imported from my other tanks as of yet so cross contamation isn't a possibilty..

This tank has 0 fish, and has never been fed.

Basically it's a 20L, with 30 pounds of New "Coral Sand", Filled it up with Fresh water from scripps, it has maybe 2 pounds of rubble, and some snails. Yet i'm already showing a fair amount of phosphates! (no it's not cylcing there is nothing to cycle!)...

So i'm starting to get this crazy idea, that scripps water might be the cause of the phosphates, granted when ever I tested scripps in the past and even today it has always shown zero.. But what i have yet to test is Heated scripps water in a controlled enviroment. I'm thinking it's possible that alot of the organics in the water die off at the high tempture and cause phosphates..BUT then again it could be the rubble or the sand!.. So.....

If you guys could do us all a favour and post your current Phosphate levels if you are using scripps then we might be able to get an idea if we are harming our own tanks!

Thanks
Brahm

chin_monster
06-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Phosphates??? You test for phosphates???

I think I'd start looking at your 30-lbs of fresh "coral sand" as the culprit. I'd take a handul of and soak it in some "clean" fresh water (RO/ DI, whatever) for a few hours to overnight and then test the water. I bet that it's leaching out of the gravel -for whatever reason.

It's never been a problem for me, but I don't do water tests. Only pansies test their water :D :D :D

Zen reef keeping. Ummmmmmmm . . . .

brahm
06-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by chin_monster
Phosphates??? You test for phosphates???

I think I'd start looking at your 30-lbs of fresh "coral sand" as the culprit. I'd take a handul of and soak it in some "clean" fresh water (RO/ DI, whatever) for a few hours to overnight and then test the water. I bet that it's leaching out of the gravel -for whatever reason.

It's never been a problem for me, but I don't do water tests. Only pansies test their water :D :D :D

Zen reef keeping. Ummmmmmmm . . . .

seems odd that new sand would be leeching phosphates, and at this point the test wouldn't be accurate unless I went out a bought another bag of sand due to the fact that it is already in water that is proven to have phosphates and most likely will have absorbed some if they weren't the source.

MrKrispy
06-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I have a Salifert test kit and some water I got over the weekend, I won't be able to test until tomorrow most likely. Throw some Phosban in for now...

brahm
06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
I have a Salifert test kit and some water I got over the weekend, I won't be able to test until tomorrow most likely. Throw some Phosban in for now...

..i'm waiting to get some rowaphos for the main tank, i'm not worried about anything that is in the frag tank just trying to figure out the source before it become a problem.

chin_monster
06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Actually, not that odd.

First, the sand might be rather organically rich and thus an over abundance of phosphates. "Bad" bag or just naturally rather high in such things.

Secondly, such "dead" sand would not have a coating live bacteria and such critters which would seal in the nasties or a least utilize them as the leached out of the gravel.

I'd rinse off a handful really good anyway and test it to see what happens. Might be interesting.

That's my thoughts.

I've got to dig out my jugs and going and get some of that nasty Scripps water. Need to flush the tank, I seem to have some rather pissed animals.

MrKrispy
06-08-2004, 11:50 PM
heh heh jugs

brahm
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
heh heh jugs

OMG I saw a new post in this thread, and Got all excited thought it was something usefull! but nooo

MrKrispy
06-09-2004, 12:31 AM
I just knew you were lurking waiting for results.

dbrooks
03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I seem to have a phosphate problem as well. I bought some Phosban from MD and put it in my fluidized bed (after removing all of the original media).

The question I have is: How "high" should I turn up the FB? The directions on the Phosban container only says not to turn it up "too" high. I have it slowly percolating fight now...I guess that I can just do a little trial an error - was just wondering if anyone had any past experience like this.

Thanks

DB

SD619
03-04-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with the sand theory. I remember reading somthing on Reef Central about a heavy phosphate problem after adding a live sand bag to a new tank of freshly mixed salt water. The guy used RO/DI, so the only culprit was the sand.

MrKrispy
03-04-2005, 06:54 PM
this thread is from last June, I don't think Brahm is concerned about that sand anymore.

singlefintj
03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
hahaha good call krispy! :D i was totally like brahm still gets scripps water thats a f'n commute and a half.