PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to town

neil
06-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Just moved from Minnesota to El Cajon. I had a 120g reef that was set up for 5 years. Sold it all of for the move, but I couldn't sell off my sunburst and inferno BTAs and my picasso clowns. So I installed an inverter in my Uhaul and drove 2000 miles with my anemones and clownfish. Everything survived and I set up a 29g biocube the day I got here. Biocube has been doing great. I immediately swapped out the stock HQI light for a AI nano because San Diego runs a bit warmer than the Twin Cities. Biocube has been up and running for 7 days so far and the apex hasn't got above 80 degrees. So I don't think I need a chiller yet. Plan is to run the biocube for a year so I can get set up here in SD, then I plan on setting up a 240g SPS and angel tank. Here are a few pics of my old 120g. Ill post pics of the new biocube soon.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/nbsdsailor/reefbrite004_1.jpg (http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/nbsdsailor/media/reefbrite004_1.jpg.html)

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/nbsdsailor/1836836_10203220369498324_551910252_o_zps91c9effc. jpg (http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/nbsdsailor/media/1836836_10203220369498324_551910252_o_zps91c9effc. jpg.html)

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/nbsdsailor/june-2012212.jpg (http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/nbsdsailor/media/june-2012212.jpg.html)

antoneoh
06-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Welcome to SD and SD Reefs! Lots of goodies around town here.

neil
06-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Also what LFS would you recommend? I am looking for a few more BTAs and a tube nem for the biocube. All I have been to so far is AquaSD and another LFS I cant remember the name of just down the street from there. I have been frequenting AquaSD for a few years and have always enjoyed their coral selection.

Corey760
06-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Neil there is vets pets in el cajon, aqua sd and aquatic warehouse off clairemont blvd, pet kingdom in san diego, reef dreams in pacific beach, aquatica in san marcos and fish haven in escondido. Btw welcome to sd reefs!

SmilinAvnger
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I think you mean Aquatic Warehouse for the second place you stopped by. I think there is a place near El Cajon... Pet Vets right? I'm sure someone else in your area can correct me!

Welcome and nice tank!

Would love to see what you did with your current setup and your future build!

Livinlocal
06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Welcome! That's a bummer that you had to sell everything but time for bigger and better! I hope I'm allowed to give my opinions of the shops so I can help you out but here goes..

+3 to vets pets.

Not only can he get whatever you want for cheaper then anyone else; he won't sell you anything that isn't healthy. They don't have any sps though.

Will at Aquasd is also really cool and they obviously have anything you want when it comes to coral. My first stop shop for corals for sure, and for the most part they have the lowest cost for dry goods.

Pet kingdom I probably wouldn't go to for a little while because they are doing a MAJOR rebuild of all their fish and coral systems so supply is VERY limited, but they have always had the cheapest prices for inverts and good prices on dry goods. They also hold 20% off sales on holidays. Probably even going to do one for 4th of July

Aquatic warehouse will have whatever you need that you couldn't find at another lfs. Their employees are very knowledgable and helpful, but the prices are a bit higher then Everywhere else.

Fountains I would just avoid. They have been there forever but the employees don't seem to care about you. And everything is redicolously over priced and the fish tanks aren't healthy IMO.

jkennedy1007
06-27-2014, 01:05 PM
YOU FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE

you'll find livestock / Coral / & Inverts that you never thought you'd be-able to get before

Like you can get a cuddle fish off here!

ya pretty rad

other species that your not spose to have :what: or crazy difficult to keep

Know a guy who knows a guy lol

fill you out a permission slip stating it was caught or bought in Mexico :ohsnap:

VETS PETS is the local spot for sure for anything

serge
06-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I have a 29 BC with the fuge and LEDs and still rely on Chiller. In the summer my tank got to 90+, next day i got chiller. Unless of course you run AC all day long. My Chiller still kicks in in the evenings. Welcome to SDR. BTW if you don't know it yet, you can get ocean water from Scripps.

XO PRESENTS
06-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Welcome to SDR and America's Finest City :) I know that you will enjoy not only our gorgeous city but our reefing community.... :welcome:

Reef Dreams
06-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Welcome!!!! Awesome you were able to bring your nems and clown all the way from Minni!!! Crazy!!! That's a nice lookin tank you had, really like the big chalice on the left side with the blue/purple band in it! You are now in one of the greatest areas for reefing, it's all right here, you want it, you can get it!

neil
06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a 29 BC with the fuge and LEDs and still rely on Chiller. In the summer my tank got to 90+, next day i got chiller. Unless of course you run AC all day long. My Chiller still kicks in in the evenings. Welcome to SDR. BTW if you don't know it yet, you can get ocean water from Scripps.

Free saltwater? Is it purified? Had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMD2213
06-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey welcome to SD and SDR great choice on keeping the specific corals . Can't wait to see how the tank goes from here on.
If you ever need anything boy up the chat room everyone is more than willing to help.

DaveMorris
06-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Free saltwater? Is it purified? Had no idea.

The water is sea water that is pulled from the end of the Scripps pier approx. 450' off shore. It is in La Jolla. The water is run through some sand filters to get most of the particulates out of it, but that's it. Many people here in San Diego use it, including myself in the past. It isn't convenient enough for me to go there now so I am mixing my own for my 130g tank. I think you will find a lot of very helpful and friendly people here. SDMAS organizes a lot of activities to bring fellow reefers together on a semi-regular basis. Announcements are made here on the site. There is also a North County group that has started up recently with a lot of great guys from the Escondido, Vista, and Fallbrook areas to name a few. Their gatherings are usually listed here on the site as well.

Welcome and don't be a stranger!

naso tang
06-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Welcome congrats on the transfer! Not only do we have awesome selection from all the lfs in sd, Orange County and la, but free water at scripps has always been an added benefit to reefing in so cal. If you are willing to travel, also add reefers garage and shipwreck cove to your list of stores. But with time and determination, you can also find lots of local reefers getting rid of livestock that you might want for sale or trade!