PDA

View Full Version : back of your tank?

ricestudios
06-06-2004, 06:38 PM
im just wondering what everyone has. painted black, nothing, painted blue, paper background, etc? im just wondering cause im thinking about spray painting the back of my 40 gallon black. what you guys think?

suver569
06-06-2004, 06:44 PM
My 55 has a background, dark blue. My 7 gallon is an eclipse, so it's black plexiglass. My 29 has no back yet, i will paint it when I move.

Mike N
06-06-2004, 06:47 PM
I've got a Nano with a blue background and my 40 has a black background, both are painted.

I like them both, not much help I know?

JeromeBaker
06-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I have a petco background but in the past I used poster boards from albertsons and worked great. I know people will disagree but dark blue is the way to go. When you see reefs of the ocean you see a blue background.

MarLooney
06-06-2004, 07:52 PM
i heard painting them can get messed up by the salt creep starts eating away at the paint. that's why people go with removable types of backgrounds so they can be cleaned or replaced when they get salty. i too am going for a blue background whenever i get around to it but right now i've got nothing on my 30gal. the 20 has a light blue background and the 56 is black plexi in the back and sides.

ConUSsd
06-06-2004, 08:35 PM
i've always used paper backgrounds. it's easy to change out when need be. i've mostly used black but sometimes like to change up to a dark blue when i've felt like it. my current 40 doesn't have a background but will add one when i move.

ricestudios
06-06-2004, 09:35 PM
my question about the paper backgrounds is does it look ugly if the back side of the glass is scratched up from the inside? how will it look if i put one on? is there some suction look when i place the plastic it on the back? cause i too wana change it out sometime. but would it look the same as if it was painted?

T. VO
06-06-2004, 09:44 PM
If you place a background on the back of the tank. If you tape it on well, it'll look nice. But it'll never be as nice as a painted background. Don't know about those scratches.. hopefully your liverock and coraline growth will hide/cover those in time..

sdboogie
06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Yeah I had the same problem, when water gets in there it looks bad. It's difficult without taking the paper off the back to get the water out either. That's why I painted the new 40. Just don't scratch it.

MrKrispy
06-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I sprayed mine a lighter blue (shallower water heh) and I spill water like a naked boy fountain all the time, no problems with the paint.