PDA

View Full Version : Fulham rocks!!!

CNCreefer
06-06-2004, 06:28 PM
About 2 weeks ago I came home from work to find 1 55w PC lamp not lit. I thought maybe the bulb burned out. So I switch the bulbs around and find that my workhorse 3 was not working. Grrrr this is the 3rd ballast that went south in the 3 1/2 years that the tank has been running.

I call Ron up and tell him my ballast died and he told me that the supplier, Custom Sea Life, no longer exists. Hmmm, another company victim of doing business in Calif.

So I go to www.fulham.com and find out that there is a 5 year warranty on this ballast.

I emailed them and told them the story, the customer service rep emailed me back today telling me they'll replace it. I give them my address and it will be shipped ASAP!!!!

Is that cool or what?

suver569
06-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Yep, they rock when it comes to warranties. I preach nothing but good things about the workhorse ballasts. Cheap, effective, versatile. What else do you want.

suver569
06-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Chap
Do they make a ballast that can power more than 220w? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. I want to be able to power 2 72" VHO bulbs (320w I think).

negative. Best you can do is 2xWorkhorse 7's.

CNCreefer
06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
from now on it's nothing but workhorse ballasts for me.

When I set up the tank I went to Aquatic *****house and bought one of those PLS/realux lighting fixtures for $160 and the 1st ballast didn't last 3 months. They replaced it, however the 2nd one lasted only 8 months. They wouldn't sell me just the ballast, they wanted to sell me another $160 fixture. That's when I went to O.G. and got the workhorse.

I took the fried PLS ballast apart to see if it can be repaired and it looks like they put the circuit board in a plastic tray and filled it with tar or something.

So don't buy the cheapo made in china PLS/realux fixtures that they sell at AW or Pet Kingdom. You're asking for nothing but problems with the crappy ballasts. Maybe they will lose $$$$ and stop stocking them and get something better, like the workhorse.

Even better, maybe the owner of AW or someone who works there will see this, then again, maybe not......

sdboogie
06-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Good to know. I just picked up 2 Workhorse 5 ballasts in a 2x96W PC retro with bulbs for $200 shipped from ahsupply.com.

SanDiegoReefs
06-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Does anyone run VHOs on a Workhorse ballast? I'm looking for a nice cheap ballast for my 2x75w VHO actinics... the Workhorse7 looks nice, but I dunno about running VHOs on them.

-moore