PDA

View Full Version : WIFI help

Elias
04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
So my internet started acting funny, I have a net gear router, I reset all the settings and re installed everything. My internet connection is working because I can use my desktop which has a hard line to the router, and my Laptop connects to the router. I cant connect anything else no ipads, iphones, PS3, the problem I am having is I cant find the network when I search for it on those devices. not sure what I am doing wrong.

wildtigg3r
04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Who is your internet provider? Time Warner, Cox, Att?

SmilinAvnger
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Is your laptop hardwired as well or is it wirelessly connected?

Do you know how to log into your router and check what your SSID is now?

Elias
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
My provider is time warner, but the internet works my desktop is hard wired and my laptop is wireless. I did log In to the settings and checked my ssid and made sure everything was good

Elias
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
My laptop is working fine on the wireless but that is the only thing I can connect, mine and my wife's phone can't find the network neither can the ps3 or iPads for some reason

Roger1
04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Im thinking
you only activate the 5ghz and desactivate the 2.4ghz signal.
In the router settings.

SmilinAvnger
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Im thinking
you only activate the 5ghz and desactivate the 2.4ghz signal.
In the router settings.

Good thought!

specvjeff
04-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I had a similar problem only they would connect but not actually work. I ended up having to buy a new router. I don't think you can deactivate the different signals. You can not set one up with a name and password though. I guess it depends on the router. Where's RussM?

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

SmilinAvnger
04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Most routers you can choose the bands it transmits on.

specvjeff
04-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Mine just transmits both channels all the time

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

SmilinAvnger
04-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Mine just transmits both channels all the time

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

You got ripped! ;)

Elias
04-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Yea I checked and both of the frequencys are running, and I enabled both SSID for the 2.4 and 5 ghz

SmilinAvnger
04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Was this happening before you reset all the settings on the router? Guessing that is why you reset all the settings? Have you tried updating firmware?

Elias
04-08-2014, 01:06 PM
It just randomly started yesterday so I reset all the settings, I also updated the firmware too when I logged into the setting screen. So I'm competely lost

SmilinAvnger
04-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Hmmm what type of encryption are you using for the wifi? Some of those devices may not support certain encryption... though I think they would still see the SSID at least...

I would try changing that... and if that doesn't work, try defaulting it again and see if it shows up with just the basic settings.

If it does, set it up how you like it, but just do 1 step at a time and see if you can still connect each step of the way...

IE:

Set the SSID. Can it connect?

Set the encryption. Can it still connect?

Whatever else you want to customize... Can it connect?

Make sense?

Elias
04-08-2014, 02:34 PM
that makes sense ill try and do it like that, as for the encryption its WPA-PSK, it was the one recommended from the settings.