PDA

View Full Version : Garibaldi, state fish of California

cutterx23
04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/cutterx23/Fish%20Tanks/3C241B0D-AAC1-44DA-A0C1-198D8CC25716_zpsdow2gfps.jpg (http://s586.photobucket.com/user/cutterx23/media/Fish%20Tanks/3C241B0D-AAC1-44DA-A0C1-198D8CC25716_zpsdow2gfps.jpg.html)

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/cutterx23/Fish%20Tanks/7FF35799-A93C-4256-97EF-1A600ED5E55C_zpsyafjjk4g.jpg (http://s586.photobucket.com/user/cutterx23/media/Fish%20Tanks/7FF35799-A93C-4256-97EF-1A600ED5E55C_zpsyafjjk4g.jpg.html)

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/cutterx23/Fish%20Tanks/B5F83434-7B74-4F87-A014-520A048E67DE_zpsybp2y75q.jpg (http://s586.photobucket.com/user/cutterx23/media/Fish%20Tanks/B5F83434-7B74-4F87-A014-520A048E67DE_zpsybp2y75q.jpg.html)

CMD2213
04-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Is that one you had or the one from MAX in their bottom tank

cutterx23
04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
The one from max in the bottom

CMD2213
04-05-2014, 06:13 PM
lol nice bro me an the wife were looking at it and she was all gung ho on buying stuff lol no shackles... nice fish man

cutterx23
04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Nice, that's a good deal then. Keep her in that mode... This guys a beast. Can already tell 10 minutes after being in the tank that you'd never want two. He keeps eye balling his reflection. Then sees it at the far side of the tank and rushes over there, and so on. He's a little scared of the horn shark tho

CMD2213
04-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Reminds me of some Midas and Red Devil fish I used to have when I did freshwater.

looks like cousins* and they are evil fish lol I loved them! huge teeth aggressive bites your hand and smacks face against glass to attack you for just walkng by haha

Jhuneke
04-05-2014, 06:29 PM
That is so cool! What a great looking fish :)

Dugaru
04-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Damn! Nice pickup! Yeah, no way in hell you want multiples of those. Even in the wild you rarely see multiple near each other. Absolutely beautiful fish though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specvjeff
04-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Brett,
They are mean ass fish. Good luck! He's going to be the boss of the tank in no time.

AFUreef
04-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Brett,
They are mean ass fish. Good luck! He's going to be the boss of the tank in no time.
Yes sir. But they are such rad damsels. Love watching them in the harbors while fishing. Good luck bro.

CMD2213
04-05-2014, 08:19 PM
they had those rays for $50 first thing I though miley ray! lol

cutterx23
04-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I know they are gnarly, hopefully he just gets along with the sharks and any new ones I add and just stays angry with his reflections

RussM
04-06-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm curious - this is a subtropical fish; will it survive in the warmer temperatures of a typical reef tank? Is the garibaldi like the Catalina Gobies, and their lifespan will be shortened? LiveAquaria lists the same recommended temp range for both - 60-77F

cutterx23
04-06-2014, 08:58 AM
It is in a shark tank that runs at about 70 degrees.

socal619
04-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Nice pick up BS, looks dope!

RussM
04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
It is in a shark tank that runs at about 70 degrees.

Cool. BTW, I wasn't questioning your care of the fish specifically - it was more of a generalized question about the species.

jkennedy1007
04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
thought they were illegal to keep

so cool man!!!

they chase my girlfriend around when we snorkel :hideeyes:

specvjeff
04-06-2014, 10:05 PM
As long as you have paperwork that shows it was collected in Mexico you're fine.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Duke4130
04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
You need to have a permit to own one in the state of California. Doesn't matter where it was caught. This is from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Website

Conservation Garibaldis have a restricted range—they're found from Baja California to Monterey Bay and nowhere else in the world. Within that range their populations are stable. They are especially numerous in Southern California's warm waters and much less common around Monterey.

Because of their appealing looks and bright colors, garibaldis are popular aquarium fish, but it's illegal in California to collect them or keep them without a permit. The garibaldi is the state marine fish of California.

cutterx23
04-08-2014, 12:02 PM
It is illegal to go to the beach, fish, catch one and keep it, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PERMIT FROM CALIFORNIA. It is not illegal to purchase them from somebody who has a permit. This is what drives the cost of these fish that are very numerous up in price, expensive permit.

paulyboy18
04-08-2014, 03:08 PM
UNLESS YOU HAVE A PERMIT FROM CALIFORNIA. It is not illegal to purchase them from somebody who has a permit. This is what drives the cost of these fish that are very numerous up in price, expensive permit.

So, how do YOU PROVE that the person/store you bought it from has a permit? Basically, I can go catch one and then just say I bought it from someone with a permit? Sorry, but I don't think that works... especially in this state (but I could be wrong). I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, nor do I have ANY problems with you or anyone else keeping this awesome fish. I actually can't wait to see it someday! :rock:

specvjeff
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
When the fish ship in from Mexico, they must arrive with CITES paperwork that shows they were collected in Mexico. This is checked by customs and occasionally checked/enforced by US Fish and Wildlife. Once the fish is verified to have been collected legally, they can continue on their way to the wholesaler where they can be purchased by a local fish store.

jasonp87
04-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I think the question is does the final owner of the fish need to keep paperwork on it to prove where it was collected?

davocean
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Good to know the rules on keeping and collection, I was curious how this goes as well.
I've always wanted a baby garibaldi, the colors are insane, but the collection issue and cool water make it not practical for me.
Nice score!
You are the only private party I know of that has one.(legally)

woogiekids
04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I have a one as well, from wholesale(Cortez). He's a baby (very small).

davocean
04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I have a one as well, from wholesale(Cortez). He's a baby (very small).

Well I'm sure of all people YOU must have some nice pics of that juvy, link to thread?

Duke4130
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I think the question is does the final owner of the fish need to keep paperwork on it to prove where it was collected?

It's the state fish and it says that if you live in California and want to own one, you must have a permit from California department of fish and game. If you have a garibaldi and don't have the permit then it is illegal to have in your possession...

Duke4130
04-08-2014, 04:40 PM
So, how do YOU PROVE that the person/store you bought it from has a permit? Basically, I can go catch one and then just say I bought it from someone with a permit? Sorry, but I don't think that works... especially in this state (but I could be wrong). I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, nor do I have ANY problems with you or anyone else keeping this awesome fish. I actually can't wait to see it someday! :rock:

Scripps Aquarium has a ton of them being that they are native to our coastal waters

DOLPHY619
04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+1421&pcatid=1421

Duke4130
04-08-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+1421&pcatid=1421

I saw that too.... I am curious to see how they can sell it in California. There has to be some kind of paper work saying that it is captive bred...

DOLPHY619
04-08-2014, 05:01 PM
If you need papers for it I know a guy who knows a guy that has a guy in the south bay who can take care of it for you LMK

cutterx23
04-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I don't think that if it was illegal to own in California they would sell them at wholesale, don't think they would have had them out displayed at MAX, and I don't think you'd be able to special order them at almost any lfs in town. The permit has to be had by the collector, not the end owner. I may be wrong, but I don't think so many parties would be so grossly irresponsible and after a dollar.

specvjeff
04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
They are not illegal to own in California so long as they were imported legally. There is no way for the end owner to prove this though. If it were me, I'd be asking a lot of questions of the seller about how he got it and if he had seen the cites permits. If the seller purchased it directly from an importer, then he would have the cites paperwork. If he says any different, I'm not touching that fish.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

jasonp87
04-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I saw that too.... I am curious to see how they can sell it in California. There has to be some kind of paper work saying that it is captive bred...

From the liveaquaria description "These fish have not been successfully bred in captivity." They must have had it collected in Mexico or have a permit for collection here.

woogiekids
04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Well I'm sure of all people YOU must have some nice pics of that juvy, link to thread?

Lol, I've only had him a few weeks, so he hasn't passed my one month superstition threshold for posting pics. :)- He lives with Kermit though, so next time I take Kermie pics, I'll take one of him as well.

FWIW, my Scripps scientist friend knows I have him, as well as which wholesaler I recieved him from, and hasn't said anything about my needing a permit.

specvjeff
04-08-2014, 07:17 PM
To settle this I will contact a friend at fish and game tomorrow and will let everyone know.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

Duke4130
04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
To settle this I will contact a friend at fish and game tomorrow and will let everyone know.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

Matt was just saying that to me... LoL... We knew you would get it figured out

jasonp87
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

Will names and details be changed to protect the innocent? You know like: my friend...slicer, just went to the...wax show....

cutterx23
04-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Man never knew this would cause such a stink haha no more showing off goodies.

But woogie, if when yours grows up and if it ends up a girl let's try to breed em :)

woogiekids
04-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Lol, I think they'd try and kill each other instead.

specvjeff
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
I already know the answer since I did go to college and got a degree in Marine Fisheries Science but to appease you all I will ask. :lol:

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

ReEfErAdDiCt
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Uhh..illegal or not, sweet fish! I was eyeballing him as well. Was wondering who it would be with a temperate tank that would swoop him up. Glad it was you bro! Will have to swing by to check him out sometime😁 I'm sure you're fine man, ppl just wanna make a big to do about it. And Jeff knows his stuff. He would delete the thread for your sake if it was questionable.

Duke4130
04-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I already know the answer since I did go to college and got a degree in Marine Fisheries Science but to appease you all I will ask. :lol:

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

Did you find out the answer today???

cutterx23
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Got this from coral oasis today:

"This fish was collected by Cortez tropical import. They have permits. You don't need to have one if you got it from us which we got from them."

specvjeff
04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
As a matter of fact I did. And just like I said, it's legal as long as it was imported legally.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

woogiekids
04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Oh yay, I don't have to change my name and escape to Mexico!

jasonp87
04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
As a matter of fact I did. And just like I said, it's legal as long as it was imported legally.

So basically the law only only applies to the guys collecting and retailers, not private owners. They would have to catch the collectors before the fish was sold to ensure the paperwork is there. That's good to know.

specvjeff
04-09-2014, 08:34 PM
To fully protect yourself I would keep your receipt so you can verify where it was purchased. That way there is no question of who collected it and so on.

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

jasonp87
04-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Ya let's not start on that... Remember that is also a movie with an objective... Remember not everything you see on tv is 100% true. My point was also, people aren't going to risk their business/lively hood over a $100 fish. Really this whole nonsense needs to be put to bed, as the only facts, not assumptions, in 4 pages were from Jeff. And all the hate is irrelevant, and not going to change anything. ENJOY THE HOBBY PEOPLE!!!!

Way to go Brett. Enjoy your awesome fish. I would say that the discussion over the legality of having it has been put to bed. Can't wait to come by and see it sometime.

specvjeff
04-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Ok, so let's leave the comments to how much you appreciate the fish, the care needs of the fish, how aggressive they are or how crazy Brett is for turning his house into Sea World. Anything beyond is going bye bye.

Thanks!

jasonp87
04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
how crazy Brett is for turning his house into Sea World.

Lol, btw what time is the dolphin show :lol:

cutterx23
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Man if I could only get a dolphin. I already have permission from the wife for that one too, only thing I'm allowed to water proof a room for hahaha

jessegarcia28
04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Dude get a sea turtle with Mexican papers
:lol:

Sent from my iPhone 6s perros using Tapatalk Pro

specvjeff
04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Dude get a sea turtle with Mexican papers
:lol:

Sent from my iPhone 6s perros using Tapatalk Pro

This I can confirm is illegal :D

jasonp87
04-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Miniature bred sea turtles would be one of the greatest things this hobby has ever seen, lol. Maybe only behind miniature dolphins.

woogiekids
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
And miniature giraffes. Oh wait...we were talking fish tanks.

cutterx23
04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Finally figured out what this guy likes to eat, SCALLOPS! So anybody thinking of getting one and having trouble with it eating, try fresh scallops. He gobbled them down hard. Had to be hungry too after 2 weeks of not eating.

socal619
04-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Finally figured out what this guy likes to eat, SCALLOPS! So anybody thinking of getting one and having trouble with it eating, try fresh scallops. He gobbled them down hard. Had to be hungry too after 2 weeks of not eating.

Nice bro, post up a video of shamu eating lol

specvjeff
04-21-2014, 07:04 PM
They like Uni too

Jeff Saurwein
SDMAS President
SDReefs Moderator

Sancho
06-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Ok, so let's leave the comments to how much you appreciate the fish, the care needs of the fish, how aggressive they are or how crazy Brett is for turning his house into Sea World. Anything beyond is going bye bye.

Thanks!
I cant believe I missed this thread. Back in 1993 I came into some money. (bad thing for an 18 year old) So I bought a 200 gallon Clear For Life tank and sump from Encinitas Tropical Fish. The sump was a noisy wet dry system with a huge trickle down section with Bio Floss. It hummed gurgled and just sucked to have in my house. But I loved it. I was a kid and had no idea how to properly maintain a saltwater tank of that size. My experience up to that point was small fresh water tanks and a 40 gallon all in one salt water tank. I wanted to turn my "rented house into Sea World" I was just stupid I looked for stuff to put in the tank that I have just stayed away from. Once tank was cycled I found a small stingray and a cuttlefish in Escondido. I thought they would would be cool to have. After a month I gave the cuttlefish to a coworker that had a small aquarium maintenance business. cuttlefish was not a good Idea. That very cute cuttlefish murdered everything in my tank. I would buy shark eggs watch them hatch keep them for a bit then give them to my coworker. I tried an octopus that ended in disaster. If only SDREEFS was around back then. So I kept the stingray, and a small black banded shark. Added some various Tangs. Then On a trip to Vegas I found a Juvenile Garibaldi. I had to have it. It was such a cool fish but became mean and territorial. It bullied my shark and would chase the stingray around the bottom of the tank. Long story short I had to get rid of it. I put it on the pennysaver and got back what I paid for it. They are very pretty and cool to have but they need someone like Brett to take care of them the way they need to be cared for. Bretts set up is awesome and you can tell he takes a good time out of his day caring for his tanks. The reason I posted on this is so people new to the hobby look into want you are putting into your tank do your research. Back in the late 80's and 90's places like this did not exist LFS would sell you anything and some would not caution you on the care and upkeep on what they sold you.

Brett needs some saltwater crocks so his dogs have something to play with. I do like the idea of mini dolphins :angel: