PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY SALE! Son in hospital.

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Well, long story short my 7yo son was playing with some friends at a family bbq yesterday and got poked in the eye with a branch. We initially thought it was just a ”normal” poke in the eye. Decided to take him to ER (we live near Temecula) at the new Temecula hospital.

The ER there informed us that branch punctured his eye and he would need stitches, and he would be good to go but they couldn't do it there. They sent us down here to Rady Children hospital to have it performed. Everything went well, surgery wise. The surgeon let us know that unfortunately, the stick punctured the lens and will now cause a cataract to form within a few days.

He will need surgery again in about 4 Weeks to fix that now, and she is unsure how is vision will be in that eye after. My wife and I are holding up ok, the hardest part is knowing how frustrating its going to be for him these next few months (or longer) to not be able tp see correctly. Especially for someone with pretty much perfect v

For the next few Weeks I will have some things for sell to help with medical cost (we have insurance but they dont cover everything.

Sorry for the not so short story and run on, its been a very long night. Will update post with more items later today.

I am located in Temecula, about 35 min in once you exit on Temecula Parkway. Being as Im so far in, I am willing to meet up right off the exit (15 and Temecula Parkway) with the items.

CMD2213
03-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear glws.

GoldenButterfly
03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
We are all here very sorry to hear this happen to your family. Wishing your son will get back to normal soon. Take care.

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Also, if anyone has similar situation with their kids, id love to hear about it to share with my wife. She feels helpless and blames herself. I told her it is just an accident and kids will be kids.

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the thoughts!

hbar137
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
I am sorry to hear this. My prayer is with your son and the family.

bigkahuna
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Wishing your son and family the best. GLWS.

Leonard
03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
So sorry to hear about your son. hoping for the best.

Dugaru
03-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Temecula made the right choice by sending you to Rady's. You could not be in better hands. The staff there is absolutely fantastic. My son was born 10 weeks premature and spent 4 weeks in Rady's NICU. Their level of care is stellar and they will do absolutely everything they can to get your son back to 100%. Good luck, man, and please keep us all posted.

erikk
03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
pm sent

Jhuneke
03-17-2014, 10:40 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your son's accident .. And tell your wife it's just that, a random accident. I've not been through similar issues, but as a mom I do understand the instinctual urge to blame ourselves, when our babies hurt :( Mu daughter flipped in a golf cart , receiving major brain injury and multiple surgery on a shattered leg/ankle. The days ahead may be difficult, but when it's all behind him.. All your son will reflect back on, is how you were there for him to make him feel safe and loved. Prayers are with your son and your family for a successful and fast recovery ... I am in Murrieta so if there is anything I can help w ( reef or otherwise ) please do let me know

LotsaFishies
03-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Wow as a brand new father (10 month old son!) I can't imagine how terrifying and helpless it must be to have an injured child.

I will definitely be praying for your son, the doctors, and your family.

FDdragon
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
wow, sorry to hear that. Well it was an accident and thank God it wasnt more serious. I had corrective eye surgery a while back (permanent contacts in my eye and lasik for fine tuning) and bumped my eye in my garage (an accident). the impact caused one of the incisions to open....and pinch the iris.....then as the incision closed back to its original position, it pulled the iris and had a small piece of it sticking out of my eye. There was eye juice dripping down my face and i could not see! i thought i had lost that eye. i was informed by my eye doctor so see him the next morning. the next day i was rushed into surgery and they pushed everything back my eye and stitched the incision closed (which i was given numbing drops but could still feel everything). my eye is damaged for life and has a slight different shade of color and sensitivity to light due to the pupil not being a perfect circle any more. The damage caused the injured part of the iris to heal itself onto the contact as well. given that there were MANY multiple factors of which could have caused me to lose vision or some major infection....i am fine. i have 20/20 vision and every now and then get a tad fuzzy in that eye...but most of the time i dont even notice.

Things could have been worse and dont feel at fault by any means. Accidents happen, trust me, i know. =) Jhuneke said it right, your son will remember how you and your wife were their for him when he needed it. BTW, the eye is said to be the fastest healing part of the body. (debatable with the tongue, but its definitely in the top 2 or 3)

seareef
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
I agree. The folks at Rady's NICU are top notch. Good luck with the sale.

Temecula made the right choice by sending you to Rady's. You could not be in better hands. The staff there is absolutely fantastic. My son was born 10 weeks premature and spent 4 weeks in Rady's NICU. Their level of care is stellar and they will do absolutely everything they can to get your son back to 100%. Good luck, man, and please keep us all posted.

cutterx23
03-17-2014, 11:14 AM
So scary, I really hope your son gets his full vision back very soon. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

jada1
03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
I hope and pray for a great recovery. .your son is in great hands..

erikk
03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the light and good luck with the kiddo......

EyeReef
03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your son. Fortunately it sounds like the injury didn't damage his retina! After all said and done, if you need post op care for your son in the future, please let me know. I would be happy to monitor his condition at no cost.

specvjeff
03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Mike (eyereef) is a top notch eye doctor! He's who my wife and I see.

Nick_Kun
03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
yeap, mike (eyereef) is the man.

HumanMachine
03-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Good luck with sale, I really hope everything goes well.

ford4life
03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
not interested in the light but I can donate $20 if you ever come to oside.... It sucks having to sell things to make ends meet. I know $20 isn't much but im sure if other people pitched in youd probably be able to get more than what the light is worth and maybe do something special for your son because he will be affected from this and probably be bummed he cant see very well out of that eye. just let me know

antoneoh
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I hope he has a speedy recovery. I can donate $20. Send me your paypal.

sumbudy
03-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the news. I can donate $20 also, just let me know your paypal information.

GarnetJax
03-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Count me in on the donation. Let me know Paypal info. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 04:12 PM

I am very happy with them, their staff and over all kindness has been great. I don't think I've ever been to a hospital either where they were always AHEAD of time instead of waiting hours on hours. I will let everyone know how it all ends up! Thanks!

Also thank you to everyone for the warm thoughts and prayers, it does make a difference.

I am so sorry to hear about your son's accident .. And tell your wife it's just that, a random accident. I've not been through similar issues, but as a mom I do understand the instinctual urge to blame ourselves, when our babies hurt :( Mu daughter flipped in a golf cart , receiving major brain injury and multiple surgery on a shattered leg/ankle. The days ahead may be difficult, but when it's all behind him.. All your son will reflect back on, is how you were there for him to make him feel safe and loved. Prayers are with your son and your family for a successful and fast recovery ... I am in Murrieta so if there is anything I can help w ( reef or otherwise ) please do let me know

Wow, I can only imagine how difficult that must of been. Very sorry to hear that as it must of been very scary. Hopefully she recovered well.

It's hard not to feel bad for him, knowing how frustrating it will be for him in the days ahead. So far he is taking it pretty well though. My wife is now coming into realization that there was nothing anyone could do to prevent it, just a part of life. Thanks again!

Wow as a brand new father (10 month old son!) I can't imagine how terrifying and helpless it must be to have an injured child.

I will definitely be praying for your son, the doctors, and your family.

Thank you!

wow, sorry to hear that. Well it was an accident and thank God it wasnt more serious. I had corrective eye surgery a while back (permanent contacts in my eye and lasik for fine tuning) and bumped my eye in my garage (an accident). the impact caused one of the incisions to open....and pinch the iris.....then as the incision closed back to its original position, it pulled the iris and had a small piece of it sticking out of my eye. There was eye juice dripping down my face and i could not see! i thought i had lost that eye. i was informed by my eye doctor so see him the next morning. the next day i was rushed into surgery and they pushed everything back my eye and stitched the incision closed (which i was given numbing drops but could still feel everything). my eye is damaged for life and has a slight different shade of color and sensitivity to light due to the pupil not being a perfect circle any more. The damage caused the injured part of the iris to heal itself onto the contact as well. given that there were MANY multiple factors of which could have caused me to lose vision or some major infection....i am fine. i have 20/20 vision and every now and then get a tad fuzzy in that eye...but most of the time i dont even notice.

That is crazy and Im sorry you went through all that, doesn't sound fun at all. Also thank you for the words of encouragement in the long haul. As of right now, the doctor is saying possible glasses, or at least a contact in that one eye. It all depends how the next two surgery's go (one to remove cataracts and the other to remove stitches)

Things could have been worse and dont feel at fault by any means. Accidents happen, trust me, i know. =) Jhuneke said it right, your son will remember how you and your wife were their for him when he needed it. BTW, the eye is said to be the fastest healing part of the body. (debatable with the tongue, but its definitely in the top 2 or 3)

Thank you! I am actually not new to the whole eye injury thing myself. When i was about 3 years old, I fell onto a tree stump and a thorn ended up in my pupil and had to be surgically removed. You are correct about it healing quickly, but I do remember the most that my mother was always by my side and my father even left work to come make sure I was alright (my father wouldn't leave work usually for anything.)

Sorry to hear about your son. Fortunately it sounds like the injury didn't damage his retina! After all said and done, if you need post op care for your son in the future, please let me know. I would be happy to monitor his condition at no cost.

So far, no signs of retina damage. His pupil is no longer round shaped though (I almost lost it when the doctor finally showed me.) I really do appreciate that offer and may take you up on it. We have our follow up appointment this Wed in Escondido.

not interested in the light but I can donate $20 if you ever come to oside.... It sucks having to sell things to make ends meet. I know $20 isn't much but im sure if other people pitched in youd probably be able to get more than what the light is worth and maybe do something special for your son because he will be affected from this and probably be bummed he cant see very well out of that eye. just let me know

That is very generous of you, and everyone else offering to donate! Wow, Im actually at a lose for words on the kindness around here. Thank you! So far the doctor said no school for the week, no PE for two weeks and take it easy on stressing out his good eye. (His left eye is now patched). My wife and myself will do everything in our power to make sure he doesn't get too down about it, already planning a few small things for him so he doesn't have time to just sit and get stressed about it.

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Also, a quick update for everyone.

He has been discharged from the hospital and we now have weekly check ups to make sure the initial surgery heals well. Also to prepare for the next two surgery's. He's been a trooper through the whole thing and has yet to complain about any pain (post surgery) The only thing that first bothered him when waking up, was that it was very itchy. That has now seemed to settle and no more complaining. He's been prescribed 3 different medicated drops (pretty much gets 10 drops a day total)

My wife also sends thanks for all the kindness and prayers, it is our first born so she takes it pretty hard. Everyones words are very uplifting!

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you Erikk! That really helps us out, have fun with the light and enjoy.

Thanks for the light and good luck with the kiddo......

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Here he is this morning, about 7 hours after surgery.

http://s15.postimg.org/5thne5qk7/parker.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5thne5qk7/)

Jhuneke
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Wow! What a trooper he is! So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you all :) hang in there! Kids take their cues from us.. The more positive and normal you all san be the better for him. And thanks , I should have mentioned.. We were very lucky and after a year or so she had recovered well .. The brain injury seems completely resolved , and her leg has done well too ( considering). Such a great picture tho, such a brave little man you have! :)

wyntersun
03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I've been trying to stay so positive around him (as has my wife) because I know how we react, he will feed off of. He had a hard time wanting to really move his hands around at first, but I told him he had fans on here who were all "rooting" for him and sending wishes/prayers so he finally gave the thumbs up!

Glad to hear about your daughter, must have been a stressful year. Positive thoughts make all the difference.

Wow! What a trooper he is! So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you all :) hang in there! Kids take their cues from us.. The more positive and normal you all san be the better for him. And thanks , I should have mentioned.. We were very lucky and after a year or so she had recovered well .. The brain injury seems completely resolved , and her leg has done well too ( considering). Such a great picture tho, such a brave little man you have! :)

jessegarcia28
03-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Daam dude
Crazy stuff
I'm glad your boy is doing good
Jesse

mrchase74
03-17-2014, 04:57 PM
WOW!!! Sorry to hear your delima... Yes kids will be kids and things just happen no matter what we do as parents. I will keep your son in prayer and hope you and the wife are bless with all you need to help your son. GLWYS...

naso tang
03-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Good thoughts coming your way man, hope he's ok.

RickSee
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
poor kiddo, glad to see him doing a little better now. Our thoughts are with your little man!!!

FDdragon
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Glad to see that things are going well. Just let us know if there is anything you need. God bless!

wyntersun
03-18-2014, 09:10 AM
My wife and myself would like to take the time to thank the ones who'm have donated (and offered to donate) toward my sons medical bills. She is quite in shock from the support of this forum.

Last night was a little rough for my son. He woke up complaining his eye was stinging (as you can imagine when something in your eye is bothering you, you want to rub it). Unfortunately he has the patch on and doctor said absolutely no rubbing or touching it. Finally about after 2.5 hours, the drops seemed to do their work and the stinging went away.

wyntersun
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Added a few more items if anyone is interested.

ford4life
03-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Im not sure if I missed your paypal address.... but can you pm it to me please thanks.

wyntersun
03-19-2014, 11:16 AM
UPDATE:He is doing very well today, no more stinging or itching pain. His appointment is today in Escondido with the surgeon. When we last talked to her, she said by about this time his cataract should be visible to her, we're hoping for the best that it doesn't happen but she pretty much guaranteed us that it will. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

I'd again like to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers!

wyntersun
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Another update: He had his check up yesterday with the surgeon and she is very happy with the results from surgery. So far, no sign of a cataract forming so she is staying positive that one will not form. Keeping our fingers crossed.

http://s21.postimg.org/bxww1fo2b/park.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/bxww1fo2b/)

wyntersun
03-20-2014, 04:14 PM
I've added some items to the for sale part, again I am open to reasonable offers due to the circumstances.

GarnetJax
03-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Glad to hear everything is on the up and up. glws

wyntersun
03-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Thank you!

Glad to hear everything is on the up and up. glws

mrchase74
03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Stay strong Superman!!!

keepswimming
03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
So sorry to hear this unfortunate event happened to your son! I my self have a son and it
Makes my heart ache thinking about this! Keep us informed on his progress. There is also a donation web cite that can go viral on social media and here, you tell your story and set a donation goal.

wyntersun
03-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Items are still available.

Also a quick update:

He has his check up today and it looks like a Cataract has begun to form on the back of his lens, so he will be needing an additional surgery unfortunately. His stitches and everything else are doing well. We are hopeful his vision will be ok after this is all done.

jessemills1
03-26-2014, 01:38 AM
Did frogspawn ever get picked up??????

jessemills1
03-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Sent u a text!!

wyntersun
03-26-2014, 02:52 PM
updated!

wyntersun
03-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Nice to meet you Victor, hope you enjoy the Frogspawn!

Sdboltsfan21
03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Hello
victor here, the one who bought your frogspawns. Please feel free to have her call my wife. She has been a nurse practioner at radys for 24 years. I'm sure my wife will be able to talk her through this. She works with kids who have cancer. So if she can talk to those parents, I'm sure that she could talk to your wife. You have my phone number so give me a heads up if she wants to chat with my boss. and by the way the frogspawns are fargin hugh! I'm thinking of buying some of your other stuff also, just have to run it by my kid first. hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can help u with.
thanks
victor

wyntersun
03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks Victor!

wyntersun
03-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Open to reasonable offers on the items, need to get some of this stuff sold! Thanks

wyntersun
03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Bumpp updated. Need everything sold!

GarnetJax
03-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Wish I could... Tank is still not stable enough for anything other than the 2 clown fish i have right now. GLWS

itchyrich
03-28-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your son. I was a Fireman for 10 years and that was the hardest part. Are you interested is selling the complete set up?
Let me know, Thanks, Itchy