PDA

View Full Version : Newbe - Finally took the plunge

GarnetJax
03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi all!

Little history: Back in 2001 I had a Tenecor Marine Ready Custom Built Hex-Flat back Acrylic 55 Gal w/Stand and Canopy made. It had a Wet/Dry sump w/filter plate & bio-balls. Now the sad part… I had never used it. I was always worried that I would set it up and then move again. When I was younger I moved a lot due to jobs, etc. Now after 13 years I have it set-up. (Oh did I mention I have never had an aquarium F/W OR S/W in my life Except for the one that collected dust right after it was delivered. I don’t even know anyone personally that has one, I have just been fascinated by them for a long time.

Back in the days before I bought my tank I was doing a lot of research on Garf and wanted to follow their advice to the “T”. Now 13 years later, it looks like they are not for me, personally.

Of course I wanted to make some modifications to my Wet/Dry Sump so that I can have a filter sock and skimmer.

Current Setup: 55 GAL, SWC Xtreme 120, (2) Hydor Koralia Evo 750 -850, Hydor Smart Wave, BRS GFO & Carbon w/MJ1200, Eheim Compact+ 3000, 4” Sock, DIY Durso.

Current Challenges: (1) Basic Maintenance like water changes, accumulation of livestock, quarantine, etc. (2) BRS GFO & Carbon – I don’t think I set it up right the GFO does not move… at all. (3) PVC work – What type of PVC fitting do I need to connect to the underside of the bulkhead? Right now I have a 1” clear flex tube and I want to change it to PVC so I can add in a ball valve. This is just one of 4 or 5 modifications I would like to make concerning the plumbing.

I just wish I could find someone that could come out get me up and running, show me the ropes then slap me on the back and say “don’t worry it will be OK”.

Note* I had the LFS come-out and deliver SW and look over everything… No valuable insight what so ever… LFS:“Does it leak?” ME:”No it seems to be fine” LFS:”Ok, great!”

Yea… I get better advice from a fortune cookie.

socal619
03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the hobby bro, congrats on finally taking the plunge. there are a bunch of reefers in Vista / LFS, someone should be able to help you out.

50 cube
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarnetJax
03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply Sent

GarnetJax
03-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks again 50 Cube for stopping by it was great to meet you and I'm so excited to hear I'm on the right track. Just a couple of more tweaks (like increasing Alkalinity levels) and I will be ready for my first coral. :beer: