PDA

View Full Version : Quote for retaining wall

Dugaru
03-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Looking at what the cost would be to have a retaining wall installed on my property would be. Trying set up the space designated as 'rv parking' actually able to have an rv parked there. Anyone able to do that or have recommendations?

BajaReefs
03-03-2014, 10:08 PM
You can do it yourself with keystone block. Just put pea-gravel on the base.

Dugaru
03-04-2014, 07:32 AM
My biggest concerns with DIY are two-fold:

1) I have no experience with any sort of digging equipment and so would take me a long time to get the hill dug out to make the wall, plus the need to get rid of the dirt.

2) If something should happen to the wall (noob error, major rain/flooding, etc) I don't want to be the one getting sued due to a faulty wall. It would, to some extent be preventing the neighbors house from coming down on mine as our street is sloped and I am at the lowest point on the corner.

Therapy
03-04-2014, 08:18 AM
I agree with Carlos. Just do a little research on keystones.We have 300 feet of keystone wall on our lot that is on a pretty good slope. Lots of stone varieties to choose from, I like the country manor. Its just the first course of stone that is tough. Maybe hire a pro to do that, but after that anyone can complete the project.

DaveMorris
03-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Go in and talk to the folks at RCP Brick and Bloc. They are very helpful and can give you the info you need to determine if it is something you want to undertake yourself. If not, they can recommend people to do it for you. I laid 3600 interlocking pavers to replace a concrete driveway and they helped me a lot with the "how to" part.

Jreed983
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
How long/high does the wall need to be? That could a big determining factor in having it done vs doing yourself. The higher the more complicated.

Sent using tapatalk4 from my GS III

LotsaFishies
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Talk to Michael "Mantis" here on the boards...he owns a landscaping business and can help you out.

Dugaru
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Got a quote from one place - 50ft long, 3ft high garden stacked wall. Including soil removal, grading and drains, $5,500. Would still have to do weedmat, gravel and new fence myself. I'll do some more research on DIY.

Jreed983
03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Could you post a pic of the area where the wall is going to be? Might help with input from others.

Sent using tapatalk4 from my GS III

Dugaru
03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Here's a pic of the front of the house for reference.

http://i.imgur.com/E1masj8.png

knightnsd
03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
I insure contractors and own Builder's Bonding & Insurance Services, Inc, call my office if you would like a couple of my clients to bid the work and check pricing. Edward 619-440-0042. You may have some city/county permit issues depending on the height but 3 feet is generally ok for a wall but confirm that with the local city or county building department if you DIY or hire someone, otherwise they can fine you and give you grief, especially if you have an unpleasant neighbor that calls the code and enforcement department on you. I would suggest the term "garden wall" or 3 feet wall versus retaining wall is a term for a heavier wall holding more back and higher and more expensive. It may be worth passing the liability of the wall construction to a contractor if you remain worried about it. I'd suggest asking for his insurance and license though if that remains one of your concerns or you may end up responsible for any flood/wall issues if they are not insured and licensed and cannot afford the repairs from a faulty wall.