PDA

View Full Version : Mantis!

SDMike
06-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I've heard a lot of guys wanting to get rid of a Mantis, I've been looking for one...

Found a guy in FL on Reefs.org that's about to ship me one...

How cool is that?

Looks like one of the Tank Mahal's surge/refugia is going to be a pod/mantis tank...

I'll post pics when the little SOB arrives. (should be some time Thurs-ish.) He's got two. I'm not sure if I'm getting the red one, or the purple one.

M

SDRotary
06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
congrats on the pick up. I have a O. S. Peacock and it is by far my favorite creature I have ever owned. Get ready to be buying some snails for it on a regular basis. It is a smasher right? good luck none the less.

SDMike
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by SDRotary
congrats on the pick up. I have a O. S. Peacock and it is by far my favorite creature I have ever owned. Get ready to be buying some snails for it on a regular basis. It is a smasher right? good luck none the less.

Hey! I know...

15 Nassarius snails for $5.00!

I'm not sure which flavor of Mantis it is. I haven't seen it yet.

To quote a Bugs Bunny cartoon: "Duuuhhhh, I'm going to stroke him, and pet him, and I'm going to name him George..."

M

suver569
06-05-2004, 06:21 PM
speaking of which

http://grimreefers.com/photos2/mantisvid.wmv

Holy crap is all I gotta say. I want one now.

Sorry, right click and save as.

MarLooney
06-05-2004, 06:46 PM
dopeness. i know someone on this board with one in his fuge. we needa add another tank to the loop so he got something like this!

Mike N
06-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Exercise some caution with it if it's big, I've seen more than one glass aquarium shattered by them. They pack quite a punch ;)

brahm
06-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I know your prooboly kidding but i don't think nasses would make good mantis food they spend 99% of the time hiding under the sand.

SDMike
06-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Mike N
Exercise some caution with it if it's big, I've seen more than one glass aquarium shattered by them. They pack quite a punch ;)

FWI understand, one of the two mantis that may be making its way westwards is 1.5" the other's just a little bit bigger.

M

SDRotary
06-05-2004, 09:54 PM
I feed whatever snails are 5 for $5 @ aw. I would reccomend a thick acrylic tanks as I have a 5g hex and it is making a lot of chips which are worrying me. Here is a pic of mine:

CALBear
06-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Someday I will have a peacock mantis tank and right next to it will be my octo tank =/

nalbar
06-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CALBear
Someday I will have a peacock mantis tank and right next to it will be my octo tank =/

OOOHHHH YYYAAAAA!!!

i could absolutly go for that set up!

nalbar

CALBear
06-05-2004, 10:52 PM
I saw one last week diving at the shores. He thought he was being so sneaky trying to color morph to match the rock he was on but I caught him breathing a bit heavy. So cool though.

I watched him for about 3 minutes before he decided to jet off using the swaying kelp to confuse me into not following him!

brahm
06-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by CALBear

now that would be an intrested battle royal.

SDMike
06-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Just got notice that my new addition to the family is due in Thurs before 1500.

Once the little monster gets here, I'll post a pic or two or three...

M

SDMike
06-10-2004, 12:15 PM
The shrimp arrived a day earlier than I was told it was going to arrive... Idiot mailman put the box in the big, locked mailbox at the clubhouse (big, central mailbox location for my condo complex).

This is my tale:

Since the box containing my Mantis was SUPPOSED to be here today, I didn't try and track it till this AM...

Hmmm, says it was delivered... 1027, no signature... I was HERE at 1027 and there wasn't a box anywhere to be found!

I checked the neighbor's house (3642 dyslexia y'know...) No box there either.

Went on the website again... Yup. Delivered.

Called the PO. Got a computer. Called the local #.

In talking to her, I figured out that today's the TENTH! the delivery confirmation says the NINTH.

Where's the #$%$# box? Oh, no! Don't tell me the idiot postman put it in the mailbox!!

Yup, that's where it was all right. I opened the box feverishly. I expected to see red X-s over its beady little eyes and have it floating around in the bag.

That's what I saw at first. Poked the bag...

HEY THERE'S MOVEMENT! Hot Dog! Its ALLLLIIIIIVVVVEEEE!

Woo Hoo!

Its about 2" and a cool-looking purple color with orange legs.

I've tried to get pics, but they're not coming out well enough to see it.

Y'all are gonna have to come by if you wanna see my new baby!

M

ricestudios
09-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by suver569
speaking of which

http://grimreefers.com/photos2/mantisvid.wmv

Holy crap is all I gotta say. I want one now.

Sorry, right click and save as.

anyone have the video saved on there harddrive or know where to get it?