PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Carlsbad

BertL
01-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I've been reading various forums and threads for a while now, and figured it was time to introduce myself. I'm Bert -- living in Carlsbad.

History
I was into aquariums big time as a kid -- 20-gal community tank growing up, and as I got my first part time job in High School, the parents let me expand using my own cash -- eventually a 90, 120, 60 and 2-20's with a few things, but for the most part, African Chiclids which I loved. In college, I got into Saltwater Fish-only for not quite 3 years with an additional 110 gallon tank -- It was extremely problematic, lost many fish which pained me too much, dropping too much cash on meds and gadgets and replacing livestock, and when I moved out for my job in L.A., ended-up selling the tank and all the others except for the 90, which my folks kept with African's until then moved many years later.

Roll the clock forward 35 years, and I'm now (early) retired -- no longer "on-the-road" with business at the drop of a hat, and the phone ringing 7x24 with this or that that needing to be resolved. I'm a planner and research hound by nature, and have thought about getting back into the hobby a couple times over the years, but never pulled the trigger given my inability to consistently spend the time it would take to maintain a new tank. I've been pursuing the possibility as a primary objective since last fall, and planning in earnest since October/November 2013. I've of course found lots of things have changed (e.g. no more under gravel filters, thank goodness! ); There are forums like this to seek advice and see what others are doing; Some things are easier; There is a lot more common sense with experience folks have gained; Corals are something people do a lot these days -- they were out-of-the-question in my former time with saltwater; ...and there is still the need to continually work at it, if one wants their tank and inhabitants to grow and prosper, which is fine by me.

Bert's Reef
My reef is going to be a ~150 gallon 54"x30"x24"H glass eurobraced tank; It will be a "semi-penninsula" style with visibility from the left end and front side; Sump will be located adjacent (not below) the tank in a rather unique location closer to the floor in my Family Room. 2-20gal acrylic QTs will be at the ready for inhabitants to pass-through before going into the DT. Plumbing, flow, etc design is complete. What I call Phase I of the custom cabinetry is in place and painted; Custom tank and sump are ordered; Rocks are "cooked" and I've got a prelim aquascape set up in my garage; I'm refining my "RO/DI Water Station" this week, and have a lot more little details to keep me busy each day. Since I'm taking my time to do this the way I want, I suspect saltwater probably won't be introduced into the tank for another couple of months...

If you're interested in more detail, I'm maintaining the equivalent of my "build thread" on my personal website HERE (http://bertsplace.net/da-guys-150-gallon-saltwater-reef/), and photos of the progress are on my Flickr site HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdw1fanatic/sets/72157639856263586/) or also accessible via my website.

I don't need any help at this stage, but will likely be jumping in to ask for something as time goes on. Thanks in advance to all that treat me kindly with noobie questions.

SmilinAvnger
01-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you are not much of a newbie to me. You are off to a great start and showing much more planning and patience then most!

Good luck. I will be following along.

Thanks for sharing!

bbandu
01-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the Forum Bert