PDA

View Full Version : Look who it is...

bladedrummer
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been away from the forum for a long time. I figured I'd poke my head in and drop a few lines.

(TL; DR at the bottom).

I had been working crazy hours (12-14 hour days) almost every day since May and I just never had the energy to really keep up with my tank. I did my basic maintenance, I fed my fish, kept things in "working order". Now, we all know that is not nearly enough for a reef hobbyist, in fact, I feel pretty guilty about it.

After months of non-stop overtime, what did I get? Laid off. Yeah, my company fired almost 200 people on the same day, no warning or anything.

Well, that sucks, but I guess now I have some time to get my tank back into a decent state. I've been plagued with red slime algae (or cyano?) for months and haven't been able to get rid of it. I bought some chemiclean, but never got around to using it.

I have not done a serious water change in quite a while and surprisingly the algae has receded and started to die off, probably starved itself out. I'm kind of bummed out and don't really know how to get it all back on track.

The fish and corals, however, are healthy. The only thing I lost was a marvelous Green ORA Birdsnest, it was nuked by my Xenia... I didn't notice the Xenia sprouting behind it, it most likely just stung it until it turned all burned-out-white and died.

I might have to move out of state when/where I find a new job. But in the meantime I would like to get my tank back into tip-top shape before I sell it. I've started a massive general clean up of all my pumps and will do a water change tonight.

Thanks for reading,
Bladedrummer.

TL; DR.

1) Hello everyone, I'm back!
2) I have not been keeping up with my tank because of work (and laziness I suppose)
3) I want to make up for it and need tips and tricks on how to get rid of red slime algae (or similar)
4) I would like to get my tank into good shape before I may actually have to sell it.
5) Missed this community.

XO PRESENTS
11-22-2013, 12:41 PM
It's been a hot one but good to see you back on here bud :)

bladedrummer
11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
It's been a hot one but good to see you back on here bud :)

Thank you sir. I will post a proper tank update/advice request with pics when I'm done with preliminary maintenance.