PDA

View Full Version : Hey car guys, convertible tops question

David M
11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I have a convertible 88 BMW 325i that needs a new top. Local shop wants $975, car is pretty old with 230K+ miles on it. Really hate to spend a grand only to have the timing belt go or some other disaster.

I see I can buy a top online for as low as $320. On a scale of easy to impossible, any clue how tough this would be to install ?

As always, tia for your thoughts. - D

johnc
11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I think book time is about 10 hours. But it's hard to decide because the hardware, seals and straps might need replacing too and you can't see it all until the top is off. How's the quality of the material? $975 doesn't seem too bad. Supposed to be a pain to make sure you don't mess up the frame or tear the canvas. A guy on the e30 forum charges a little less than that and he says he isn't making much on the job. Too bad he's on the east coast.

keep that thing on the road, nice examples are getting harder to find.

jada1
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
If you're concerned about the engine I would make sure that everything is all good with that first specially if the top is still functional..if you're just changing it for looks like I said make sure its running really well and all safety issues are not a problem..older cars do wear and tear once you remove that top you dont know ehat else you will find that could be broken..just from my experience. .doing the top on that car takes time and some experience its not for a beginner. ..im a bmw tech I know....

dnraiders
11-06-2013, 01:51 AM
It's not easy nor impossible. It takes a lot of time setting in and getting it to align perfect. If it's not your daily then it might be worth a shot doing it a couple hours a day for a few days.

David M
11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Okay I give, other sources have also said it's time consuming and there is a learning curve. I'll spend the $K and hope I get a year or two more out of the car :) Engine runs like a top and purrs like a kitten. Jada1, what's your thoughts on the timing belt ? I have read every 75000 miles ?

macias619
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Hard tops are rare and expensive for the e30 but damn they look sweet!

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk

jada1
11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Timing belt are usually 60k no more than 90k to be safe ..so 75k wouldnt be a problem just be sure that it has been done when in doubt just do it because they do break. .you know what stop messing around and just drop an m3 motor in that bad boy with a dinan upgrade. .lol keep the car they're hard to find right now..

macias619
11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Naw drop an e36 engine in, then you'll have good fun

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk

David M
11-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Hard to find ? Depends on what you want, there are dozens on So Cal CL sites but most are automatics and soooo many are RED. No thank you :) Mine is "bronze" (looks gold to me) and a 5 speed so yea, that is hard to find. I have only seen one other in SD in the 4 years I've had it.