PDA

View Full Version : Complete newb here!

XianRaider
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey all..

I has always been my dream to have a salt water and a reef tank... Recently the opportunity to get a tank came up, and here I am...

I purchased a 120 gallon tank, and had a stand built... The tank came with all used equipment, including a sump, uv filter, protein skimmer, power heads and so on.., But, I really have no idea where to go from here... I have this beautiful tank (that I had refurbished and scratches removed)

I was wondering if any one could help me get started by first teaching me how to properly clean the equipment, and the what order to place it in,,,, oh, and the best way to test it to see if it still works....

It came with a light system, which I do not like, so I am also looking for suggestions as to what light systems are best,,,, should I just get rid of the stuff I got, and start with new equipment,,,

Thanks for any advice....

Dave

couger
09-05-2013, 07:46 PM
welcome! first off I would post a list of everything you have. equipment wise. light ypw and specs. then what type of reef you are wanting, LPS , SPS, mixed... there are tons of info on this site and people who will bend over backwards to help and for advice. were are you located? new setups are always fun, I'm sure you can find people to lend a hand in setting up

Vince
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome to sd reefs! Best advise is read, read, then read some more. When I started I watched allot of this guys videos http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tank-tv/ --remember you tube is your friend. Everyone here will help out as well . Nice to meet you Dave...Vince

NavyDad74
09-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Hey all..

I has always been my dream to have a salt water and a reef tank... Recently the opportunity to get a tank came up, and here I am...

I purchased a 120 gallon tank, and had a stand built... The tank came with all used equipment, including a sump, uv filter, protein skimmer, power heads and so on.., But, I really have no idea where to go from here... I have this beautiful tank (that I had refurbished and scratches removed)

I was wondering if any one could help me get started by first teaching me how to properly clean the equipment, and the what order to place it in,,,, oh, and the best way to test it to see if it still works....

It came with a light system, which I do not like, so I am also looking for suggestions as to what light systems are best,,,, should I just get rid of the stuff I got, and start with new equipment,,,

Thanks for any advice....

Dave

Hey Dave first off great name. welcome to the noobi corner my daughter and i have been sitting here for a while. but you know the cool thing about this site? The awesome people here, any questions you have and things you are looking are just about answered or found in minutes. congratz on the tank, sounds like a cool setup. look forward to the pics of the tank. if the stuff you have works use it. i there are many people here that use things that have been paid forward or given to them because it was sitting in someones garage. Good luck!

David

VW REEFS
09-05-2013, 08:22 PM
welcome Dave, i can help you with your set up if your in the south bay? There are a lot of reallt good reefers that will help along the way....start a tank thread also so we can see what your working with...

50 cube
09-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Welcome! Location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laddair
09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the party!
Im a newish reefer aswell. I have had a small nano 4 gal running since February. I am now Curing dry rock purchased from bbandu, he has a great assortment of rock to choose from. Which I am using to start a 40 gallon tank with a 20 galloin sump. Anyways I hope you find what you are looking for. This is a great place for information. Plus you have alot of helpful members here.

smirkis
09-06-2013, 10:08 AM
yeah depending where you are located im sure someone on here could help, make suggestions, and hopefully steer you in the right direction. you've found the right place. everyone on here is awesome!

welcome to the party. enjoy, read, and learn as much as possible. i read the forums on here and asked questions for like 6 months before salt water even touched my tank. have fun!

hydrahawk
09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the addiction Dave! Like couger said, I would edit the location you live, this will help you see who your fellow reefers around you. Do your research!!! A good place to start is wetwebmedia (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/). There are tons of info on this site. In this age, you don't really need to buy any books, just ask the Oracle/Google. Like Vince said, read, read, and read. Also, if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask.

XianRaider
09-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies!

I will check out the links, and see what I can learn,, and to answer where I'm at,,, I'm in Clairemont,,, right above mission bay.... And I will definately start a tank post.

Everyone in here has been so awesome.... I look forward to getting to know you guys better

Dave

DiverDave
09-18-2013, 07:08 AM
I have Sundays and Mondays off (though I have to tow my 2 year old around). We could stop by for a visit and chat awhile if you like. Any chance to see a new set-up being sit-up.

Best wishes and welcome.!

Dave (DiverDave)