PDA

View Full Version : New reefer looking for some advice on what to do with this tank.

OhioStreetz
09-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Tank has been up for about 2 months now.
Want to start getting corals but just don't know where to start..
My equipment.
55 gallon breeder tank
Wave point t5 4 bulb fixture
Tunze filter and protein skimmer
2 koralia power heads 1150 GPS
30 pounds of live rock

Fish
Yellow tang
Clown

I'm going to get another 20-25 pounds of live rock for the tank this weekend.

Any advice will be appreciated thank you..

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=140e1e1e6b824c52&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

socal619
09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Do some research see what you like. Start with the basics: mushrooms, zoas, some lps, softies. Look on liveaquaria for easy to moderate stuff. Get a feel for it then go for the harder stuff If you want.

HumanMachine
09-03-2013, 01:17 AM
careful when adding live rock to your tank, depending on the type and how much, it may cause a mini cycle. While this isn't a terrible thing, it is up there with adding a higher temporary bio-load. I've added rock after the fact and didn't have much issue though. just mentioned as a precaution, and something to expect on your tests.

MustangBill
09-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Do some research see what you like. Start with the basics: mushrooms, zoas, some lps, softies. Look on liveaquaria for easy to moderate stuff. Get a feel for it then go for the harder stuff If you want.

I agree, starting with soft corals is in my opinion the best way to get started. They are more forgiving and usually hardier than hard corals and therefor more prone to the ocasional mistake that will happen.
Do some research and read up on the corals you might be intrested in and go form there.
They are filter feeders so you will need some type of "coral food" such as cyclops-eez to feed them.
Don't be afraid to ask more questions, we are here to help!~ ;)