PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that?

Mike N
06-02-2004, 07:31 AM
The LFS have such poor selection compared to stores just an hour or two drive north?

I've been trying to find some nice zoos, rics and some other softies, but the local selection sucks ;) With BL on hold I think there isn't much chance that I'll find any interesting colors locally?

Seems the only zoo colors they have are green, brown, or dull orange. Bring on the colors....

MrKrispy
06-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I had just complained about the acro selection locally as well. I have been reading that overall the zoo and ric availability has been very poor for several months now. Still, you see Ron at OG get ONE nice ric in and maybe TWO zoo rocks. And then a whole tank full of brown leathers. I don't get it.

brahm
06-02-2004, 10:10 AM
welll I have some good news for you guys as far as Ricordia's go.. Barry @ clamsdirect will now be selling ricordias (for ricordias.com) Supposedly he is getting his first shipment in this week! ..
Barry sells out of his place in La Mesa!!!

Also, LA get like 90% of all corals ship into the states, it's like the Reef Mecca. Neither Ron nor OG will bring in expensive stuff realistically.. when is the last time you saw something for 100+ at either store. Plus from what i understand ron doesn't go up on the main day that shipments come in so he doesn't get first pic, Aqautic... Gets decent SPS on friday, but for the most part anything good they get goes on Monday evening.

brahm
06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
also..as far as zoo's go.. To be honest, from going to LA it really seems like most of the stores up there reallly don't have that many awsome zoo's imop.. I think alot of the e-tailers have a lock down on the zoo market.

MrKrispy
06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
wow I didn't know clamsdirect was out of La Mesa. I have been checking the site after Palmettoreefs handed it off....nothing yet.

brahm
06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
wow I didn't know clamsdirect was out of La Mesa. I have been checking the site after Palmettoreefs handed it off....nothing yet.

I spoke to him yesterday, they rics should be up in a week or so.

Flamehawk
06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Well, besides the how the store choose and buy up at whole salers, remember that they all try to get all the good stuff too and they buy more than us hobbyists do. So I am sure there are days is so crazy at whole sellers, that maybe is not worth the headache if have to drive that far. It is possible that during the feeding franzze that one might end up buying bad/unhealthy things, because don't have time to look at it more carefully. Than end up loosing stuff. But of course from hobbists' view, if store don't have what we want....than obviously we won't go there as often. Plus, it is obviously why stores farther away from LAX get less good stuff, most got picked up already by ppl who are closer. What about those live in the states away from ocean??? I bet they have worse choices than we do, probably have to rely on mail ordering or trade.

tongs, they get to cherry pick before most of the stores do (that's what I heard). So that's why get have a lot of nice bright colored stuff, but they also charge more (because they can, since can't find a lot of those at other places).

I would think if we complain enough to Ron. It will eventually stuck in his mind, and when he choose things in the future probably will choose more toward what we like. But obviously they must be there and look healthy when he goes there.

brahm
06-02-2004, 12:27 PM
...and hopefully if things work out.. I might be able to start helping relieve that problem :)

nalbar
06-02-2004, 12:54 PM
flame, have you been drinking?

nalbar

Flamehawk
06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
me? drinking? naaaa, wide awake.

Brahm, you going to work with Ron or you still plan on open a store?

It will be interesting with all these little stores opening up. I wonder what will happen. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

brahm
06-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Flamehawk
me? drinking? naaaa, wide awake.

Brahm, you going to work with Ron or you still plan on open a store?

It will be interesting with all these little stores opening up. I wonder what will happen. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

no just selling stuff on the side a little here and there, hopefully just cherry picking some good stuff now and then.