PDA

View Full Version : Ilyanassa obsoleta f/t

triggerSD
06-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I have a bunch of these snails in my tank. I need to get rid of some of them. They are Algae Detritus eating Reef Snails. They are classified by some as Nassarius obsoleta. They are great for cleaning sand beds, refugia, and sumps and keeping your tank glass clean. Here is a pic I got off ebay of them.

JeromeBaker
06-01-2004, 10:23 PM
I'll take whatever your willing to get rid of.

nalbar
06-01-2004, 10:31 PM
i also need some.

nalbar

kim92111
06-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Must have hit the wrong button. I'd like some as well.

Alternatively, I'm thinking of placing an order with West Coast Tropicals.

www.wctropicalmarine.com

If you want some, you have to pick up immediately as the snails don't seem to ship well, even though they guarantee livestock. Tell me what you need.

shybright
06-02-2004, 10:49 AM
kim92111 - YGPM

triggerSD
06-02-2004, 12:49 PM
I will count how many I have tonight and let you guys know.

suver569
06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I could use some! The 29 gallon needs snails.

SDMike
06-02-2004, 05:50 PM
i need some too if you've got enough.

M

Acoustic
06-02-2004, 09:33 PM
The mud snail - Ilyanassa obsoleta

They are commonly used in scientific studies because of thier high parasitic rate.

Habitat: This snail is found in mud flats and salt marshes in sheltered waters.

Origin: East Coast of North America. COLD WATER!

Invaded Areas: San Francisco, and various bays in Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.

Concerns: The eastern mud snail was first discovered in San Francisco Bay in 1907, probably introduced with oysters. It has since become the dominant mudflat snail in the Bay. It also occurs northwards of San Francisco in other estuaries. This snail has been shown to have significant effects on mudflat community structure and sediment composition. Experiments have also revealed that it can competitively displace its native counterpart, Cerithidea californica. The snail acts as an intermediate host for the flatworm that is responsible for swimmer’s itch in humans.

I strongly suggest not distributing them!

http://www.elkhornslough.org/research/aquaticinvaders/aquatic11.htm

Acoustic
06-02-2004, 09:54 PM
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/shellfish/Biotoxins/Images/danger.jpg

triggerSD
06-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I got them in warm water, not in the US, and they are doing awesome in my tank. They have been in it about a month, only come out when food is put in, or at night, and my algae problem has disappeared. Hope they arent parasitic because I have 4 clams in my tank and I dont want them to die. I think I got the clean snails. I plan on distributing these snails throughout the entire San Diego reef community and destroying everyones tank.

P.S. In case anyone didnt notice, the last statement was meant to be sarcastic.