PDA

View Full Version : My 80g

nalbar
06-01-2004, 01:52 PM
my 80 is finally up and running.

tank is 48LX17DX24H

the sump and tank holds a total of 82g.

156 pounds of LR.. 90 pounds of waltsmith primium from bluelagoon and 66 pounds of fiji ultra primium from jeff's. not one single 'bad' rock in the bunch!

90 pounds of sand

nalbar
06-01-2004, 01:54 PM
the sump has an oceanrunner 3500 .. rated at 900g an hour. with my head, checkvalve, and screw coupling i doubt it throws over 700 though.

nalbar
06-01-2004, 01:59 PM
view of my plumbing. i hope to use just the oceanrunner and one PH for flow. i want a low-medium flow tank. the overflows are 2 1" down pipes which keep up with the oceanrunner just fine. the pipe to the right is a future fuge feed. it will spill back into the tank. the PH will blow BEHIND the rock to prevent a dead spot and be hidden from view. it will be fed by its own multi-hole pipe. i want nudi's in this tank so i have to show caution on how water is pulled.

SDMike
06-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey! My tank looks better filled... (and in your garage!)

You got the lighting yet?

M

nalbar
06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
hey mike!

actually what's on the tank now is a home depot shop light. i have one of the 250w 10k DE mh but i need to build the reflector. i will do that this weekend.

nalbar

surf4ever
06-01-2004, 06:46 PM
nice work.. I tried to keep a nudi but it was to hard to keep him away from my overflow box

JeromeBaker
06-01-2004, 07:26 PM
right on. that's the look im shootin for. wall to wall live rock. awesome, look forward to updates.

GEFRANKLE
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Nalbar:

Wow. Really taking shape. I guess we will have to head to Jeff's in a week or two. I will drive this time. I am glad to have seen the tank while a work in progress. I went to Jeff's with my son again on Monday. Bought a Euroreef 6-1 knockoff that they were selling for $199. Also got a new sump and Sedra 5000 pump. Got the 40g tank up and replumbed today. All is working smoothly. All the stuff I got with you on Saturday is doing great. Thanks again,

George

nalbar
06-01-2004, 07:53 PM
hey george!

LOL@ you going back up!

maybe sat. the 12th i will go, but then maybe not.

whats the footprint on that skimmer? i need one that is only 9 inches on one side.

did the shrooms color up blue the way we thought?

ya JeromeBaker, i prefer a LOT of rock. i actually wish i had another 30 pounds in my tank.

nalbar

JeromeBaker
06-02-2004, 03:53 PM
yeah 30 more pounds would be nice. One of the best reefs I've seen actually had rock sticking out of the top of the aquarium. You couldnt see any part of the rear glass. It looks more realistic like that.

brahm
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
i see you went to the same school of aqua design as me, wall'o'rock 101 very nice..

nalbar
06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
hehe, when you put a lot in there are so many ways to place it. there are actually a LOT of holes, caves, and crevices, some of which i filled with sand.

how are the yashas doing? i been seeing them at the stores and am certainly interested in them. i read they like to be with a shrimp. are you going to get one?

nalbar

JeromeBaker
06-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I was gonna say something about your tank brahm. Wall to Wall. Its rad.

brahm
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
hehe, when you put a lot in there are so many ways to place it. there are actually a LOT of holes, caves, and crevices, some of which i filled with sand.

how are the yashas doing? i been seeing them at the stores and am certainly interested in them. i read they like to be with a shrimp. are you going to get one?

nalbar

Yea it's wierd wall-o-rock never comes out good in photo's you can't really get the depth or the caves, but when you see em in person they look aswome in imop.. I don't like seeing a bunch of equipment or the wall, or just the back of the tank.

The yashas.. I dunno, they are wierd.. Like for a couple days I'll see them all the time then, they hide for a few days until I can find them again.. I haven't seen them since the weekend. I think the shrimp just keeps digging new holes and they keep moving around.

nalbar
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
so many gobies are like that. you dont know whether they are dead or alive back there. thats another problem with 'wall to wall' tanks. there is a whole world back there where stuff can live. and gobies and blennies dont know we want them on THE LIGHTED SIDE!

nalbar

brahm
06-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
so many gobies are like that. you dont know whether they are dead or alive back there. thats another problem with 'wall to wall' tanks. there is a whole world back there where stuff can live. and gobies and blennies dont know we want them on THE LIGHTED SIDE!

nalbar

the yasha hasha's aren't in my 55 though, they are in my 15, which is 3 side viewable (and most of the back also due to the reflective of the glass) So i donnu how they are so sneaky since i can pretty much see every side of the tank.lol