PDA

View Full Version : Wiring help

sdboogie
06-01-2004, 11:50 AM
I just got in 2x96 watt PC retro kit from ahsupply.com. I'm no electrician but found a diagram on the web. It shows using 3 of 4 redwires(workhorse 5) to power the endcap. Is there a way to use the fourth wire to power a fan? And does anyone have recommendations on an enclosure to use for the ballasts? I prefer not to mount them in the hood.

suver569
06-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sdboogie
Is there a way to use the fourth wire to power a fan? NO! Do not hook up a fan to that lead. The leads from typical ballasts run in the 500-600 volt range. Not only will the ballast leads burn the living hell out of you (they wont shock as much, but rather burn you) but they will try to run anything you try to attach to it. It'll smoke any fan you hook up to it.

And does anyone have recommendations on an enclosure to use for the ballasts? I prefer not to mount them in the hood.

As far as an enclosure goes, there isnt a whole lot you can do, except to mount the ballast remotely. I.E. mounting it under your tank, in your stand, and extending the wires. Dont make the leads too long from the ballast to the lamp holders, just as long as you need. Typically anything longer than about 8', the lamps will flicker on and off. I'll try to take a pic of my setup, maybe Chap can if he reads the thread. I wired up a ballast in his stand remotely, and it works great.

suver569
06-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Refer to this diagram. Use the one on the left. This is how you wire PC's.

http://www.fulham.com/NewFiles/wire09.gif

This is how I mounted mine. To the underside of the stand. Helps to make a drip loop with the wires (basically have the wires running down out of the ballast, then up to the tank), in case any water leaks down the wires, they wont get to the ballast. (<cough> Chap!) The workhorse's dont produce much heat, to heating the wood or the tank is no problem.

sdboogie
06-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a welder friend who might help me out with some of this stuff. I was thinking of making a ballast enclosure out of perforated aluminum. Just a simple box with those connectors you find on computer power supplies. I'll use the connectors for both power cable and endcap connections. The power side will have switchable connectors so I can turn the lights off from the ballast. I'm also thinking of making a hood out of perforated aluminum. Maybe that way, I won't need fans. The heat will just dissipate out all the holes. It shouldn't be that heavy. Maybe I'll trim the stand out with it too. I don't much like the wood look.

suver569
06-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I was thinking of making a ballast enclosure out of perforated aluminum. Just a simple box with those connectors you find on computer power supplies. I'll use the connectors for both power cable and endcap connections. The power side will have switchable connectors so I can turn the lights off from the ballast.

Just make sure the connectors and such are rated for 600 volts, if not, you could be in for a meltdown. Like I said, ballast wires tend to burn, rather than shock, so make sure your connectors can handle the voltage.

sdboogie
06-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Any ideas on what kind of quick disconnect connectors would be suitable for 600vAC. The pc power supply connectors are only rated at 250V. That's good enough for the power side but not the lighting side of the ballast.

suver569
06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
If you know where California Electronics, or Murphy's electronics are in El Cajon, they have TONS of this kind stuff, and should be pretty easy to find. Basically any Electronics surplus store will have connectors that will handle 600 volts.