PDA

View Full Version : New Member and New to the Hobby

cldme
05-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Hellow everyone. Im new to the hobby but im excited about things to come. I bought a 125 gallon tank from a good fella and member in the S.D. area. Just finished the building of my stand and now starting to buff out the aquarium. I do have one question. The tank has 3 bulkheads in the back wall of the tank, should i set up 1 inlet and 2 returns or drill a 4th hole for 2 and 2. Still unsure if i want to do a reef or something else.

smirkis
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
sup!

depending how large that 1 outlet is, 1 should be enough. i am going to be running 1 outlet, and 1 return. so it's really up to how you want it.

welcome aboard, and being on sdreefs, i am sure you will end up with reef tank. too many great deals around here from great fellow reefers that will help you stock that tank up in no time!

cldme
05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks. Im trying to build as much as I can for this project but im finding out its a big learning curve. The holes are 1 1/2 inch outside diameter so i assume 1 inch plumbing.

jasonp87
05-23-2013, 03:21 PM
From what I have learned over the years it is best to plan for the tank to be a reef tank. You don't have to start out that way but it makes the transition easier when all the pieces are in place for when you decide to go that route. I say when because everyone that starts out with a fish only tank ends up seeing all the pretty corals and converts :)

cldme
05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/cldme/TankandStand_zps84453551.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/cldme/media/TankandStand_zps84453551.jpg.html)

Thanks for the info. Heres where im at so far.

MustangBill
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Lookin good! Nice stand work!
I agree with jasonP87 in planning early (AKA right now) even if your just considering a reef right now you will get bitten by the reef bug. Water flow for a reef is one of the biggest factors in keeping a healthy tank, low flow areas are pron to nuisance alge growth like red cyano or hair alge. So I would take this opportunity to drill another hole for 2 drains and 2 returns. I have two corner overflows with returns in each of those corners and each return is split in half to give me 4 position adjustable returns that i can point to different places in the tank and I still run 3 Korilas for more water flow / movement.
Acrylic is easy to drill, it's easy to install another bulkhead fitting and I garuntee you that you will be kicking yourself down the road if you don't.

cldme
06-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advise.